Cannot install audio usb drivers on laptop

chaosscott

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction...

Laptop: Samsung R580; i5; Dual Boot Win7 32 & 64 bit.
USB Interfaces: Tascam US-2000, Line 6 UX2

For some reason I can't get USB audio drivers to run without crashing on this machine. I am able to install the drivers once without issues then as soon as I open the DAW (Reason, Reaper or Live) they all tell me there is an audio driver problem. This happens with both the Tascam and Line6. The onboard audio works just fine and I use these two USB interfaces successfully on other machines (running Win7 64 and 32 bit).

On the laptop I've tried every USB port, verified that they are usb 2.0. Updated the BIOS. I have also successfully used other usb devices (external drives, keyboard, mouse) with no issue at all.

Am I missing something? Can anybody point me in the right direction? I really appreciate the help! Thanks, Scott

Well it definitely seems like a problem with that particular computer then. Which means it can probably be fixed relatively painlessly :D
You said dual boot.
Did you accidentally install the 32 bit driver on the 64bit OS or vice versa :confused:

And is your driver version 2.02 ?

Thanks for the response kidkage:

Two OS's installed on different partitions. So I have Win7 64 bit on one partition, Win7 32 bit on the other partition.

I have driver version 2.02 on the 64bit and 2.00 on the 32bit.

I added the 32bit partition knowing that people were having issues with the 64bit drivers when I was researching the US-2000. I was hoping 32vs64 drivers was the issue. Apparently not.

I'm doing some research today while at work. I'm wondering if deselecting "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on each USB Root Hub might do it.

Update: I ended up getting the drivers to install correctly. It was a combination of the above "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and disabling all other audio drivers, particularly the HDMI audio drivers. it's all running OK now and I'll be doing some load testing later. Hopefully this helps someone with the same issues.

Back