Can you get by with a sub-standard computer?

Battlegun

I own a small Dell computer with an Intel Core processor (i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz) and 8 GB of installed RAM. So far, I have not have much trouble working my songs in FL Studio. Although, I am wondering if an upgraded machine could assist me better in producing or if staying with my old computer would work as well.

"If it ain't broke..." is usually the best advice if you want to stay productive (and keep more of your hair, IME).

So long as the processor is keeping up with your needs, I'd hold out. And, if you can, and it's affordable, a memory upgrade to 16GB and using and SSD or fast USB 3.0 external drive are other options that can often extend the life of a system.

I still use my Core 2 Duo 8GB MacBook Pro (mid-2010) for some things including mobile tracking up to 12 tracks, and my i3 16GB Mac Mini (mid-2012) - both adequate for what I do. Both have been updated to internal SSDs and use an external drive for my projects. They would not be suitable for some folks, of course.

I personally dread having to move to a new platform, never mind the $ involved. Hoping it's at least a year or two down the road.

This HP laptop is just a 2.4G i3 and yet I have just played back 8 tracks in Samplitude Pro X3 with 4 instances of reverb not a glitch. CPU ran to about 30%.

You have not said what interface you are using? You might be interested in the results I just did with another machine and Pro X 3. The PC is a desktop AMD 6core 2.7G and playing back some 29tracks of the Samplitude demo (24 bits, 44.1kHz) I could run them, with a lot of plugins at 64 samples, an indicated latency of 8mSecs. Dropping to 32 samples gave garbage. This is with a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 AI.

An SSD will make things load faster but will not improve the actual handling of data much since that mostly works in and out of ram. The i3 HP has 8G of ram, never gets close to using it.

Good idea to give the machine a Spring Clean! Copy off any files you don't need and defrag the C drive (ideally image the whole drive first. I have just done that with the AMD using Macrium Reflect Free, even a PC numpty like me can use that!) . Beware of 'clean up/speed up' software. The only ones I trust are Ccleaner (Registry) and Revo Uninstaller. Get rid of any anti virus software except Ms Security Essentials. Very low profile and I have had little trouble in 10 years and 6 computers. Run MalwareBytes now then every month or so.

Dave.

I run a 2.2G processor, 6G RAM, 1Tb hard drive with dozens of tracks and I've run as many as 7 VSTis (including EZ Drummer) and 3 instances of reverb at the same time and never had an issue. But I freeze/render the VSTis (not EZD) when I'm satisfied with them.

I find that memory, disk capacity and the other things connected make the most difference - USB 3 lets you get more tracks in and out from the drives, and I'm not really sure I ever see much of a speed increase when upgrading - until I dig out an old computer running say cubase 5 on Vista - and see the differences. They all seem to record my kind of music fine. As windows gets cleverer, it needs a better processor - but staying on an old version of windows and the software really just cuts out the new features, not real performance.

... As windows gets cleverer, it needs a better processor - but staying on an old version of windows and the software really just cuts out the new features, not real performance.
And, it's not just Windows (or OS X for that matter), but you have to assume that all new software is being developed on newer, and likely more powerful, computers than yours. If you let those little upgrades accumulate, sooner or later, one will be "the straw that breaks the camel's back."

So, try to resist upgrades or new s/w is also my suggestion, unless it's something you really must have. Then understand it might be looking for more oomf than your system can provide.

You can also exceed your system's limits as you expand from single and double tracks, to multiple tracks, with more and more FX, though learning how to freeze/bounce-in-place or bus tracks/FX more effectively, like [MENTION=39487]mjbphotos[/MENTION] mentions, can really extend the life of systems for years. Just pretend you're working with 4-track tape for a while :)

Battlegun, are you still with us? Assuming so, is 'Latency' the delay twixt (say) hitting a key on a synth and getting a sound from the PC, a problem? We still don't have the AI make &model?

I have mentioned the Native Instruments KA6. This is one of the best sub £200 AIs I know of for low latency, it also seems to have efficient drivers and does not tax the CPU much. Then, if 'efficiency' is the goal, look at Reaper as your main DAW. This has a very low CPU hit. The Steinberg U22 is another good'un at about 2/3thds the price but it lacks the connectivity of the KA6.

Dave.

Forgive me if there is another thread to better address this question. Brand newby here.

I just purchased an M-Audio HAMMER 88 brand new. It was spontaneous (read in, I purchased it late last night after a few cocktails). I have been wanting to learn the piano. It comes with Ableton Live Lite and 3-months of Skoove on-line lessons along with sounds for the keyboard. I'm now shopping for a laptop, preferably around $500ish. What are the main specs I should consider? Processor, processor speed, memory, connections, etc....

I also want to purchase an entry level audio interface and welcome your feedback.

Cheers.

Forgive me if there is another thread to better address this question. Brand newby here.

I just purchased an M-Audio HAMMER 88 brand new. It was spontaneous (read in, I purchased it late last night after a few cocktails). I have been wanting to learn the piano. It comes with Ableton Live Lite and 3-months of Skoove on-line lessons along with sounds for the keyboard. I'm now shopping for a laptop, preferably around $500ish. What are the main specs I should consider? Processor, processor speed, memory, connections, etc....

I also want to purchase an entry level audio interface and welcome your feedback.

Cheers.

Can I assume you want to use the keyboard to trigger software sounds and samples in the laptop? If so you are likely to be disappointed with an "entry level" interface depending on what that 'level' means to you.

The problem is called 'Latency' and that is the lag between pressing a key and hearing the resultant sound. This is very noticeable with kbds. The only interface I can suggest that I KNOW has low enough latency at a sane price is the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 at around $200 US. There may be others for less money but get that confirmed by a forum user.

The choice of laptop is not SO tricky, anything capable of running W7 or later will do, assuming ALL you want to do is trigger sounds, record them together with the MIDI data stream* . You need a super fast PC if you want to run a zillion tracks with FX plugins on each. Makes sense tho' if you can to get an SSD system drive and at least 4G of memory.

*The KA6 has MIDI ports so you could add other MIDI devices to the 'mix' as you progress. The AI also comes with a copy of Cubase which is the dogs whatsits for MIDI work.

Dave.

Last edited:
Hello ecc83,
Yes, the keyboard has no built in sounds. It comes with sounds to upload to a computer and I expect to eventually purchase other hardware and software sounds. I saw entry level for two reasons; I am a newby and don't want something too complicated and I'd like to keep the price under $200ish unless going above that gets me much more for the money.
Thanks for the feedback.

A solid 'who knows' is appropriate.

Until you know what you need from a computer, you will find out quickly. It is honestly tough to say without knowing exactly what you have in mind and what you progress to do.

Processor speed is kind of vague as to how it works with virtual instruments. It seems to have more to do with the other specs of the computer than the speed of the processor. You will likely need tons of RAM with virtual instruments. Not sure what the keyboard is that you bought. I'm not much of a keyboard guy tho...

Off the top of my head I would suggest nothing under an i5 with 8GB of ram to start. And that would just be a starting point. Make sure the laptop is expandable to 16GB of ram and many USB ports.

Best to ya! :)

When i started with FL years ago, it worked fine, until i started using izotope ozone 5. with insufficient RAM in my pc, the master output started to make strange crackling noises, and sometimes crashed FL completely. to solve it, i had to turn up the sample rate to 1024, and thereby, inceasing the latency to 35ms, and that is alot.
with all the heavyduty VST's i use, having atleast 8gb RAM is essential. to me atleast :)

that was my experience from starting with a old pc 10 years ago :)

Latency (or the 'cracking up' you get if the system cannot handle a low enough sample size) is a very complex and interrelated subject. Now I am certainly not any kind of PC guru, but I read a lot!

CPU speed is a definite factor (but so is how it handles multiple cores in a given DAW...) inadequate ram? I think you would be told about that. I have had an "Insufficient Memory" flag when doing the simplest things on a W10 PC then a day later, no problem! USB 3.0 is a very good idea and a drive to go with it.

The biggest factor in securing low latency is, AFAICT, the interface and especially its drivers. For more information look up "KAFTAT" on the Sound on Sound forum.

Dave.

Back