Can Graphics cause glitchs

witzendoz

My studio computer which is by no means new, runs windows XP Pro due to some software needing XP Pro won't run on windows 7 or 10, but is reasonably fast, is suffering playback glitch problems when running Harrison Mixbus. All other software Reaper, Vegas, Sound forge, etc etc that I have loaded run no problems at all and often have 30 Plus tracks with plugins. But Mixbus glitches on playback.

I have tried all the usual, latency, audio driver type solutions but no fix. I have noticed that the Mixbus has very detailed graphics and I was thinking that maybe the video card is whats causing the glitch, and maybe I should get a new card with more onboard memory, 2 gig or more. Any thoughts?

By the way Mixbus is a great mixing software, if I can sort this out. I have updated to that latest version 3.3. Info link.

Alan.

Does the PC meet the 2+ core/processors spec?

CPU Architecture:
Intel or AMD, 64bit or 32 bit
2+ cores/processors required

OS Version:
Windows XP or newer

Audio:
Any ASIO-supported hardware.

2Gig or more RAM is highly recommended (more for sample-based virtual instruments).

Harrison Consoles: Mixbus

Yep, the computer has a 2+ core processor, intel duo, with 4 gig ram (3.25 shows as it's XP),

I am thinking however that a new machine is getting closer, aghhh, setting up new computers is as much fun as putting burning matches between your fingers and watching then slowly burn down to the skin. Its like you finally get the old computer to work as it should with no bugs and then it's too old.

Alan.

Yep, the computer has a 2+ core processor, intel duo, with 4 gig ram (3.25 shows as it's XP),

I am thinking however that a new machine is getting closer, aghhh, setting up new computers is as much fun as putting burning matches between your fingers and watching then slowly burn down to the skin. Its like you finally get the old computer to work as it should with no bugs and then it's too old.

Alan.

The coming of Win 10 might..Ah say just might be the last time you have this pain.
At least that is The Word I get from other sources (Sound on Sound) but then I am FAR from being any kind of computer guru!

The OS is touted as being the last "upgrade" Msoft will do as a full blown system and improvements will be made as updates. No doubt of course a Win 10 PC in 2020 will look very different to one today but the PROMISE is that stuff will still be compatible?
On the subject of "updates", some people are unhappy that they seem to be mandatory? I am as well but then I can see that Ms either do that or thrust W12 on us in 4 years time?

I am however a fine one to talk! I only have one of 4 computers rigged for ten and I DID NOT LIKE IT! I have to get back to it someday and have a do but my life circumstances are now such (full time carer) that time is just not available and health issues make concentration hard.

You might find it easiest to do what I did with my last remaining XP puter? I bought a 240G SSD and installed a fresh copy of W7 on it with the XP HDD removed. Ms offered W10 of course but I did not do it for this PC. I put the XP HD in a USB 3.0 caddy and so can move files over at my leisure. I would have formatted the old HD at some point but one of the reasons for going W7 was because it had started to grumble.

Dave.

Back