calling all Delta users, and potential Delta buyers...

PapillonIrl

who use Cool Edit and W2K (or are thinking of upgrading soon).

Cool Edit uses MME drivers. It seems that M-Audio's MME drivers only support 16-bit recording with W2K. So far I have not tested this myself, but am planning on doing so this evening. The point is, forums like this one are a great resource for researching products before you buy them, and I'm sure if this issue was highlighted a little better it might encourage M-Audio to step up their driver development a little (not to mention answer their emails).

I am going to post a similar thread in a few forums and notify M-Audio of the existance and content of the threads.

If I am mistaken about this I apologise to all involved, but I did request clarification from M-Audio and have had no response, and I have read a post on the Synt site by a guy who did have a response to the effect that they do not know when the MME drivers will be updated to support 24-bit recording. So I have to go back to '98 ?

Anyway, I am going to test it properly tonight or tommorow and post the results.

Anyway, I'd love to be proved wrong on this, but if I'm not, please post your opinion and give M-Audio something to think about.

Thanks,

Nathan.

According to thier website, mme drivers will support only 16 bit.
WDM and ASIO support for Windows 2000. MME programs will see a 16-bit stereo input only. Includes GSIF and Service Pack2 info.

Thats their second newest driver, part of the reason for my confusion was that their new driver doesn't even mention MME :

5.12.1.25 05 Oct 2001
WDM Multiclient ASIO / EASI / GSIF. Fixed "Blue Screen" when starting Control Panel, plus Delta RBUS Control Panel Sync source selection. No DTS support. FOR WINDOWS 2000 / WINDOWS XP ONLY.

Yet my 44 will record happily from CEPro. So this muliclient driver MUST include MME support...no ?

If so, is the 16-bit limitation still there ? If so why not mention it or answer my emails ?

Nathan.

hehe

the 16bit limitation is still there with MME drivers...

M-Audio seems to have a problem answering emails about this topic... so you gotta corner em... call the techy's.... they can't hang up on you... well they could but it would be bad business...

I did call and did not get much information however... was just told that they are still trying to implement 24bit with MME and they had no idea when it might be working...

to say the least, I ended up hanging up on them...

PapillonIrl said:
Cool Edit uses MME drivers

Correction...heres an email from Synt Support, excellent response as usual.

"Actually, we support WDM drivers as well, however they are (at this time)
generally limited to 16 bit.

Best of luck with the organization. They seem to be aware of the situation.

Sincerely,

Mat Chavez
Technical Support Engineer
Syntrillium Software Corporation"

So there you go, I hope this information proves useful to people running Cool Edit and W2K who intend to buy a Delta product.

Nathan.

umm..

i could be wrong, but i don't think they will ever make MME work at 24 bit. WDM is the new standard for drivers in win2k win xp and onwards probably for the next 10 years. so don't be thinking anyone will be spending money on developing an obsolete driver.

In that case maybe the ball is in Syntrilliums court to further develop their WDM support...

I suppose I just want someone to be pissed at...I find it harder to be pissed at Synt cause their support and product are very good IMO, whereas its easy to be angry when someone won't respond to product related queries.

Oh well, I've calmed down now, got my old dual-boot thang goin'.

pAp.

Back