Calibrating my monitors.. HELP

Sammigz

So, I just got the Presonus monitor station and a new set of monitors. Ive been reading A LOT on getting everything to their "correct" respective volumes so everything matches up. I now hate reading more than I did before
If anyone can give me a kind of step-by-step on calibrating everything that would be great.
With my single set of monitors I did calibrate my system for K-system monitoring, but I'm not even so sure I did that right. Now with both sets of monitors it is getting even more frustrating.

Right now my hookup is:
-Firestudio Project > ST1 of monitor station
-Equator 8's > monitor station input A
-M-Audio bx5a's > monitor station input B

Pretty simple and everything is working, just want to make sure my levels are correct, and "match" so to speak.
Also, the monitor station says the LED can be calibrated for +4, + 10, + 18 reference. Any knowledge of what i'm looking at here? One setting better than the other for reference?

In advance, THANK YOU for any helpful tips.

-Sam

If anyone can give me a kind of step-by-step on calibrating everything that would be great.

There are two types of "calibration" to deal with. One is very basic - simply ensuring that both the left and right loudspeakers are the same volume. The correct way to do this is with band-limited pink noise that plays only midrange frequencies. The attached MP3 file is from my Audio Expert book. Load it into a track in your DAW software, or any audio editor, and play one channel at a time while you monitor the volume with an SPL meter at the listening position. Adjust your monitor volume controls for identical readings on the meter.

The other calibration is for an accurate frequency response, and that's much more difficult because it requires bass traps and other room treatment. These articles explain much more:

Acoustic Basics
Room Measuring Primer
All About SPL Meters

--Ethan

View attachment pink_noise-400-2000 Hz.mp3

Back