Buzzing when switching to Tascam DP-01

musiccraigboy

I just bought a used tascam dp-01 and when I took it home to record with it, my mic, along with my guitars, have this horrible, overbearing buzz coming along with the sound. The buzz goes away if I touch the microphone and the metal on the quarter inch cable at the same time, and goes quiet if I just touch the metal on the quarter inch. I've read a lot of forums and before I go out and return my new 8 track or buy a $50 grounding cable, I just need to know if it's the recorder or my house or something. I have a tascam dp-006 and it makes the faintest buzzing noise, so it's hardly noticeable. I just want to know why my dp01 does buzz, and my dp006 does not buzz. Please help, I love the way this dp01 sounds I sound just like Elliott smith!

We need much more information as to your exact setup and details of any other equipment the recorders may or may not be connected to.

My first guess? The 006 is battery powered whereas the dp01 uses a mains line lump PSU and this could result in an earth (aka ground or hum) loop but I doubt that.

NB! Anytime touching something causes hums to either increase or decrease you HAVE to consider an earth safety issue!

I would be inclined to take the WHOLE recording shooting match back to the shop and demonstrate the problem.

Dave

HAVE to say as well. In MY time as a service tech (oh! HERE we go again!) if a customer reported a fault after taking a product home, a competent technician (that was MEEE!) would have been despatched pronto.

Sadly, with the coming of the bucket shops and the infernalnet and everyone wanting everything SO FUCKING CHEAP! Techs in your home now are a rare and endangered species.

Dave.

- What mic (make/model)?
- The DP-01 (blue one, no FX) only has 'unbalanced' 1/4" TS jacks for inputs (and no phantom). What kind of cable or adapter are you connecting the mic with assuming the mic has an XLR connector, XLR to 1/4" TS or XLR to 1/4" TRS? The cable or adapter should take the 'balanced' mic XLR connection and do a change to 1/4" TS 'unbalanced'.
- Tried different cables on the guitar and/or the mic?
- If either just the mic or guitar is plugged in by itself is the hum present?

I'm inclined to think it may be a problem with the type of cable being used for the mic.

I have a DP-01 (blue version, no FX) residing in a closet that I haven't used for a while. Decent recorder for what it does.

Back