Buying Used...Ebay?

CMiller

This is an interesting question that I thought I'd run by you guys for the hell of it.

Would you buy a used sound card (for example, say a MOTU 2408, or Delta 1010) from someone?

Would you buy one from an Ebay seller?

If not, why? If so, why?

I'm curious what you guys think about this. Let's keep it civil, if you think someone is an ass for suggesting something one way or another, I don't care.

Anytime you buy anything you are taking SOME risk that you won't get your money's worth.

Buying something used adds risk.

Buying something on the internet adds risk.

Buying something from a private party adds risk.

Chances are you won't have any problems, but I got burned on ebay my very first time and haven't gone back. That doesn't mean I wouldn't, though. I think it is important to communicate by email with the seller to get a feeling for him and get all questions answered. It also gives you a paper trail of what was agreed upon.

I did buy a mic from a guy on the internet and got a great deal.

Hey CMiller. Where are your new tunes?!?!?!

I've bought and sold a bit of audio gear over EBay with zero problems. Each seller (and buyer) has a feedback profile that'll give you a good idea of what to expect from a transaction with them.

I bought my Marshall 603s' from a dealer on ebay w/ no probs AND bought my Lexicon Core 2 (shudder) from an EBay seller. I've had nothing but good results buying and selling. YMMV, of course.

Thanks for the quick response guys!

I guess what I was really more concerned with was the sound card issue. Would you buy a sound card used, and if so would you consider Ebay? I purchased something from an Ebay seller and was satisfied, but a sound card? I don't know.

Hey Greg! I'm working on it. I've just been so damned busy these days that I can't get going in the studio. Hopefully I'll be able to free up some time soon.

CMiller, when I bought the Core 2, (it's a pain in the ass, but has some good features) I only spent $250 on EBay, when the retail was still close to $400 at the time. If the stakes were higher like in the case of a MOTU system or the 1010, I'd think a bit harder & ask the seller a few questions - still though, if he/she has a good rating I'd probably still go through with it.

Thanks guys. I don't have anything planned, but as I was looking on Ebay I started wondering if buying a used sound card would be a good idea.

I've just been really surprised at the low prices I've seen for the MOTU 2408 MKII. The Delta 1010 is only about $100 less than you can get new, but the MOTU is a couple hundred cheaper.

Back