Buying a G4

dustyvinyl

I am a DJ looking to make CD's (and maybe eventually vinyl, but that's not important right now) of my own beats, combination samples&MIDI, as well as some vocals and live instruments.
I am buying a G4 in order to run Pro-Tools LE (the Digidesign 001 $900 version) and could use some advice on what kind to get-- how much RAM, do I need to get the dual processor, SCSI drive (a foreign concept to me that I've heard a lot about recently), that sort of thing.
Also, could anybody recommend any other programs that might be good for sequencing samples&MIDI? I've heard of a program called Recycle, which sounds very cool-- cuts up samples automatically, or something. I'm not quite sure what it does, actually. Also have heard about Digital Performer, don't know much about that either. I was initially thinking about getting an Akai MPC200 as a MIDI trigger, but was told that there is software out there that does the same thing.
I like the interface of the MPC, though-- all those pads to push have a nice feel, like playing an instrument, kind of comes natural to me, the analaog DJ. Can anybody suggest a MIDI trigger ($500 range) that's particularly nice?
I am assuming I don't need to buy a mixer, since the Digi 001 box has all those nice inputs. Am I right about that?
I guess the only other things I need now are a good mic and a tube pre-amp. And a decent monitoring system (all I have now is huge DJ box speakers with sound like a baseball bat hitting a cardboard box).
Can anyone think of anything else?
(Naturally, I already have two turntables, as well as a 2-channel Vestax mixer, a tapedeck, a stereo amp, and a Phillips dual head CD Recordable player...)

Back