Buy audio interface alone or bundle

pckeen

I'm looking at a Presonus Audiobox itwo. I have no home recording gear at the moment, and want to be able to record two instruments plus voice. Should I buy the audio interface alone and get the other components (mic, cables and headphones) separately, or is a bundle a better idea. The bundle comes with an M7 mic and HD7 headphones.

I'm looking at a Presonus Audiobox itwo. I have no home recording gear at the moment, and want to be able to record two instruments plus voice. Should I buy the audio interface alone and get the other components (mic, cables and headphones) separately, or is a bundle a better idea. The bundle comes with an M7 mic and HD7 headphones.
Reviews are scanty except on Amazon, but I'd probably suggest getting the pieces separately just so you can actually compare specs and reviews on the things that matter at least as much as the interface, i.e., the microphone and headphones. It might cost more, so if budget is important that might be the determinant, of course.

It looks like it's targeted to iPad users. Is that how you plan to record?

You will still need a mic stand and a pop filter for the vocals.

And, when you say "two instruments plus voice" I assume you don't mean all at the same time, since that interface is not capable of that. You'd need 3 channels for that, usually.

I'll be recording on a pc. With thirds setup we'll have to record instruments and voice separately.

If you're in the states, there's a Focusrite bundle (refurb) that's $50 less (on the Focusrite site - on most retailers it's the same as the Presonus). It has more reviews, and they seem pretty positive.
Buy Scarlett 2i2 Studio 2nd Gen (B1 Stock) | The Official Focusrite Store

N.B. There's also a Focusrite bundle at Musicians Friend with headphones, stand and pop filter that omits the microphone, so you could pick your own there, and there are popular condensers in the $100 range that would be fine for starting, and likely at least as good as whatever is bundled.

I ended up grabbing a bundle - a different bundle was listed on Amazon for $275, so I grabbed it. Thanks for the comments.

Back