Building new recording Machine

Garak

I'm getting to the point where its time to start building a new work horse for my studio.

What I want:
-Athlon 1800+
-512 Megs of RAM
-Stripped ide RAID
-Flat Panel Montior
-Everything Rack mounted in SKB rack(my gear spends very little time in one place)

I'm sticking with my delta 44 soundcard for now and I may pickup a 1010LT when they come out depending on the price.

First thing I want to get is the Harddrives and RAID Card because they can be used in my brothers machine that I'm using now. Any suggestions on card and which Harddrives?

The next thing will be the motherboard and processer. I like the Athlons because of there price to proformance ratio. Motherboards seem to dictate how stable a machine is. Which Athlon motherboards are the most stable right now while still being affordable?

Next would be the Montior. I think I'm going with the cheepest LCD I can find. I just want something that is easier to drag around than a CRT. Also I find them much easier on the eyes. I wish I could take this one off my laptop and hook it up to a desktop.

Once I get all that then I want to pick up a nice rack mount case and some sort of drawer for the LCD and keyboard. I'm hopeing to get an old skb rack from my boss to put it all in. (I work for a live audio company) I wish SKB made computer cases. Anyway who makes cheep yet rugged ATX rackmount cases?

I'm using Maxtor Diamondmax plus(audio) and Maxtor(repacked Quantum fireball, system) both 40 gig. Diskbench shows me getting 33mb/s and 31mb/s read and writes with this setup.Can't help with the raid card question,sorry. Both drives are 7200rpm and rated <8.7 ms seek times.

Let your soundcard and OS lead you in your choice of motherboards. That is usually where the incompatabilities lie. Don't buy a MOBO unless you know that someone already has it working with the same card and OS.

I don't have a delta, but there's plenty here who do, and don't they have a forum?

I'm using an ABIT Hot Rod Pro ATA100/Raid card, but never bothered to go RAID, my performance is pretty good without it. Right now my bigest problem is CPU bottleneck on plugins.

Go to prorec.com and read the "Roll your Own 2K1" article, there is a link in there to a reasonably priced ATX rackmount case. Marshall Electronics (the mic guys, not the amp guys) make rackmount LCD panels, but I'd bet they're big $.

Queue

For the LCD panel I'm thinking I'm just going to get a small rack drawer and lay the panel down for travel on to some foam. The drawer will be on the top of the rack so I will just stand the lcd up in the drawer and push the drawer in almost all the way.

Its just going to be your run of the mill cheep 15" LCD. They are getting affordale these days around $600 CND.

Back