Building a home studio....what do I need?

rally

First off I'd like to say that after stumbling accross this stie today it has been a wealth of information.

I'm currently running CEP with an AMD K6 II 500 and 64M of Ram (PC100), a 6.4G Quantum Bigfoot IDE drive and (don't slay me) an old SB16.

I've been using Fruty Loops for drums and exporting each track in seperately to CEP, then adding bass, Guitars & vox through a ZOOM 9050 plugged into my SB16. We use this for putting new song ideas down before booking pro studio time to record. We now want to cut studio fees out of the equation and spend on our own recording gear.

I was thinking on the WavPro 8/24 from Gadgetlabs as a starting point (or something similar in the same price range), in hope of adding another card later. As far as desks go I really don't have a clue but guess it should have seperate tape send/returns for each channel, probably 16 channels and preferably 2nd hand to match our budget. I also need monitors (and power amp?) as current monitoring goes out the SB16 to an old Aiwa stacking system.

If anyone can offer ANY advice before we go splashing out some serious money I'd be very gratefull.

Thanks in advance,

ALEC....RALLY

Gear

Rally,
First off you might run into compatability problems with your amd k6 processor with a gadgetlabs wave 824.
(and most all interfaces/soundcards)
For some reason or another a motorola chip put one in hair deep on amd processors or amd put one on themselves for choosing the chip, this makes them incompatable with audio processing...or something of that nature...it just won't work...Ask gadgetlabs about the problem and they will explain it to you a little more.Better yet contact amd !
I know the problem was with both k5 and k6 processors.

I have a amd 750mghz processor,128mb ram.
I use gadgetlabs wave/824 with cakewalk audiopro9.0 with out any problems whatsoever. GOODLUCK

gidman

lol, good to see that we have coined a phrase for marrital infidelity here in that remote control thread... "Tape Ops Girl".

BTW, you might want to check out the gadget labs website, as they are saying they are unable to ship any 824s at this time due to delays in manufacturing. I don't know how long of a delay they are talking about, or it if still applies, but it's something to consider. I was trying to decide between the 824 and the Delta 1010 when I saw that and the fact that Midiman is bundling Vegas Pro and one of the Sonic Foundry effects packs with the 1010 now and Guitar Center had it for $599.

c7sus, well what can i say? you got it hilariously.
i'm still in the hole(pardon the punch in)from the studios i paid $50.00 an hour in the 1980's.(that was cheap) thought i woulda learned? learned what?

these freekin songs keep me thinkin i'm gonna be a JUKE---BOX---HE---RO,with stars in his eyes,ONE DAY---HA!!it's too
bad most of us will die with no success whatsoever.

Almost depressing. but hey,have one on me---what the hell!

Back