Budget DAW recommendations

AndyMan

Hi All

I am spending more time in the home studio these days and looking for the latest, greatest budget DAW. I need something that will support 3rd party VST (Steven Slate Drums SSD4 EX). I have been using Reaper. I have a communication problem with the Reaper folks. It started with signing up for the forums and retrieving passwords. They are unresponsive. Any suggestions on other budget DAWs would be appreciated :D

They are unresponsive.

You're looking for another DAW because you can't reach the Reaper folks?

Reaper is ridiculously cheap, and I doubt you'll find a different DAW for the price that is even remotely as packed with features and has such good workflow.

Prove me wrong though :)

Hey Guys

thanks for chiming in. I guess Reaper did not like my username. I have a new one and things are good. I will keep Cubase in mind but for now, I will continue with Reaper

Hey Guys

thanks for chiming in. I guess Reaper did not like my username. I have a new one and things are good. I will keep Cubase in mind but for now, I will continue with Reaper

I hear a lot of good things about Reaper.

Studio One free version has unlimited tracks and lots of features. PreSonus doesn't really lock down the free version like other companies often do. Pretty much the only thing you will notice missing is mp3 support, which is no big deal if you have iTunes or Audacity to covert stuff to/from mp3.

Yeah, I couldn't say there is anything better than Reaper for the price. It's one super-powerful piece of software. I recently moved over from Pro Tools and just finished my second song on Reaper -- it has nearly 50 tracks on it. On the same machine, with a Pro Tools 8 LE + an Mbox 2, I could do no more than about 16-20 without it totally crashing. Reaper is the go and is easy to learn the basics although the feature set is deep if you need it to be. It's also cool because you can pair it with so many free VST plugins like the Variety of Sound set for example. It's just a great DAW.

Back