Budget Audio Interface with 4 XLR or 1/4" jack inputs

nmacog

Hi all,

First post here.

We are looking for a budget Audio Interface that will allow us to input 3 guitars (1 bass, 2 electrics) and vocals, and record each of these instruments as separate tracks in Logic Pro X or Garageband.

Can anyone recommend a cheap solution for this ?

I currently have a M-Audio Fast Track which does the job nicely for 2 inputs : vocal (XLR) and guitar (1/4" jack)

Was looking at the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 but it's probably overkill and a bit out of our price range.

Many Thanks

Sandy

Do you have a DI? If so, the Tascam US-1200 has two Hi-Z inputs and 4 mic-XLR inputs and is $120.00. More than two HI-Z inputs is unusual - even the Saffire Pro 24 only has 2.

If the interface only has 2 x Hi-Z inputs, they could use them on guitars and lash out the $40 or so for a cheap DI box for the bass.

Or if the interface has 1 or no Hi-Z inputs they could just buy a couple of cheap DI boxes for the guitars and bass? I say Cheap because they are talking about a Cheap solution.

Alan.

thanks for your replies guys.

I might try a 2nd M-Audio/Avid Fast Track box and create an aggregate device to allow 4 inputs - what you think ?

Check to see if you can chain then. Unless the manufacture allows it through their driver, it won't work.

If you can still find them, Tascam 1800 is a good deal.

thanks for your replies guys.

I might try a 2nd M-Audio/Avid Fast Track box and create an aggregate device to allow 4 inputs - what you think ?

If you can get it to work, great. There has been discussion here recarding aggregate deivces using a MAC, the issue never really addressed (that I've seen) is the clock issue - two devices, each with its own clock, over a period of time there will be drift.

This, Behringer UMC404 - Thomann UK
Has had a good reccy from a guy on the Fretboard forum. He says it is pretty basic, no DSP (or pretty lights!) but the preamps are quiet and have decent gain and the whole thing just seems to work.

I am not really surprised. The 80 quid Alesis iO2 /M-Track is bloody good and it does not cost that much to bolt on a couple more pre amps.

Dave.

Back