Browsers crashing all the time

mjbphotos

Internet searches have not given me much info. I've updated Java, and all that add-on crap, but still have issues with Chrome and IE crashng all the time.
I've had Reaper crash a few times recently (loud buzzing noise starts, have to turn off interface and restart it) as well.

One thing I read said it might be bad sectors in the RAM? Suggestion was to run a RAM segment test (which could take hours and hours).

I had an issue with a graphics card going bad. Something like you describe. I would suspect it could be:

Bad HD sectors - I would do a "Check Drive for Errors", pretty quick check and just set it an reboot, that takes some time, but it is the easiest test to do.
RAM - as you stated, you could pull one see if the issue goes away or increases, since it wouldn't be hitting the bad sector or would be hitting it more.
Graphics Card - Only way I know to troubleshoot this is if it happens when there is a video playing. Once again, there is so often video embedded in web pages. You could see if the drivers are up to date.
Audio interface - Just a thought, but would be last on my list. Since everything has sound these days, you can't eliminate it totally as a possibility.

I would try the HD test first, then RAM, graphics card with some kind of video stress test, the audio interface being the least likely.

Not sure I helped, but that is usually the order I do troubleshooting.

Thanks, think I did a HD check recently with no issues. The browser crashes happen even when I don't have my AI on, so that shouldn't be the problem

Thanks, think I did a HD check recently with no issues. The browser crashes happen even when I don't have my AI on, so that shouldn't be the problem

Sounds like you have two out of the way. I only mentioned the graphics card since I recently had an issue with one of mine recently and it didn't show up so easily. it was very random, usually when I was doing something with Silverlight, the MS video standard.

Just open Control Panel and type memory into the search bar. Under "Administrative Tools" there will be an option to check for memory problems. Click on it, click on either option (depending on if you want to do it now or later) and see what happens. :)

Any sys logs with those crashes?
+1. Test the ram next. Basic memtest app is fine. :)

No, because the browser just stops, with a pop-up saying its stopped working.

Just open Control Panel and type memory into the search bar. Under "Administrative Tools" there will be an option to check for memory problems. Click on it, click on either option (depending on if you want to do it now or later) and see what happens. :)

Thanks, will do!

Sounds like you have two out of the way. I only mentioned the graphics card since I recently had an issue with one of mine recently and it didn't show up so easily. it was very random, usually when I was doing something with Silverlight, the MS video standard.

I experienced random freezing, crashes and the like a while ago. My usual suspects were viruses, malware and the like, but nothing showed up.

In the end it turned out to be the video card.

On one of my computers I spend a bit of time looking at event logs:mad:. Sometimes gives me something I can Google and get a fix for.

Win7.....
Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Event viewer

Thanks for that. I don't use microsoft OSs often these days so you saved me a google. :)

On one of my computers I spend a bit of time looking at event logs:mad:. Sometimes gives me something I can Google and get a fix for.

Win7.....
Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Event viewer

Thanks, Mark - will take a looks for that stuff. Memory test last night showed no issues, so it could well be the video card.

Do you do much in the way of disk cleanup and defragging drives?

If it is Win7 64, it uses NTFS and defragging is not an issue with that file system schema. Most defragging is done for performance, not stability. If you think about it, on servers, they can't go around defragging hard drives all the time.

The FAT32 and FAT16 it was a good idea to keep it defragged for stability and performance.

OP, one thing to check, if you have an add blocker, turn it off to check to see if that might be an issue. More sites are checking for these and I have a few problems because of mine.

I defragged within the last few months.

Hadn't thought about AdBlocker, but I installed a new one a while back ... hmmmm ...

Back