Blue screen error

no, direct x 7.0a is not the most recent version out there.
win me ships with 7.1, this is because of recently discovered deep compatability issues with some multimedia applications.i do not however know if this is available without ME. Also, don't worry yourself too much with direct media, that package consists mostly of codecs for media player and shockwave type internet animation stuff. after talking to an associate at work about your problem, or to be more specific the blue screen error you were experiencing, i'm leaning more towards either a hardware ram error or some kind of driver incompatability. actually incompatability is a very vague term, but i can't think of a better one. try to find the latest drivers (absolute latest, check even if you think you have them) for your vid and sound cards, this can make a large difference. i lean towards that conclusion also because you said that other applications were working well.
it seems to be that whenever an application tries to call a certain address in memory which corresponds to a command on the sound card, the machine recieves some kind of error response from that address, henceforth the blue screen. that could be the card or physically bad sectors on the ram chips. good luck with the pc guy, make sure he does exactly what you do with the machine, that is tell him to run this or that and execute this program or that. let me know what happens........Capt.

Hey Capt'

Thanks capt.snazzy.
The pc man had the thing all day,he ran some heavy graphics programs on it and he said everythng is running like a dream.He said the ram checks out fine.But unfortunately he does not know anything about audio programs.I have had the sound card checked out by the supplyers.It is ok.I do appreciate your time.I have friend who are graphic artists,policeman,fireman,artists,teachers,surfboard makers,lawyers but not one person who knows about daws.
So all you blessed folk are my "only hope" at the moment..;)
Although the pc tech did make some changes in bios and I will give the machine a good working asap....

Especially considering the computer guy's results, I'd say maybe this is just a simple case of buggy software. I used Cool Edit Pro for months, and I'd definitely describe it as unstable. I haven't seen Logic crash yet, but the tips here about keeping the operating system and drivers updated may help. I've been using Logic 4.5 on Windows ME with a MOTU 1224 for a few days and it's been running like a dream. So far I highly recommend WinME for a DAW, but I know there are scattered reports of compatability issues so you may end up having to revert to 98 but I think it may be worth a shot.

Back