Blue screen error

peter miller

This program has performed an illegal operation ,if problem persists contact program vendor,a bunch of numbers etc and some Kernel errors and at the very bottom it says STACK DUMP.
I was using cool edit v1.1. but it has happened in logic too.
I was recording only one or two tracks.
Of course it shuts down and I'm back to square one.
every time I get stuck into it ,splat, Why me.
I have even just reformatted the hard drive. It seems I'll never get my recording thing happening.
Pent III 550mhz 128ram 13gig h/d 5400rpm.
I know a 7200rpm would be better but geez 2 or so tracks of just my acoustic guitar! It's not as if I'm giving the hard drive a flogging not too many effects either.
I had just swapped the sound card to slot pci 2 as I was told it could be conflicting with the graphics card but I don't think that is the problem. I always shut down anti virus too..Has any one had this kind of problem?
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, I left the burner to do its thing the other night as I went off to sleep as I've done many times before.but some time during the stage it froze up .could this be all tied in together.

[Edited by peter miller on 10-31-2000 at 05:02]

Try reinstalling the program(s) and soundcard drivers. Maybe you installed some program or driver that messed up some settings for your music software or HW drivers. It's often less time consuming to reinstall the whole shebang. Are you running 98 or NT?

/Ola

If you're running 98, then what you have is not the infamous blue screen of death, which most often implies HW errors/problems. 98 doesn't have that but freezes instead. It sounds like you have a messed up SW installation. A lot of software isn't very caring about others and will gladly overwrite their files at installation. It's probably what happened. Check the vendors' sites for updates and fixes.

Your machine should easily handle the recording load you're talking about. No probs there.

1. In many cases, the "blue screen of death" can be caused by bad memory chip(s). When a program accesses a bad memory address, it can "freak" windows out and result in error.

If you have any spare memory, (you will probably need PC133 SDRAM) replace it with the current chip(s). If you do not receive any errors, bad memory is most likely your problem.

2. It also can be a service pack problem with windows. I've experienced this mainly in Windows NT OSs. Try re-installing the win98 service pack from Microsoft. This can often solve the problem. When you install software, you should always re-install the windows service pack.

3. Clean out your C:\windows\temp directory. This is a directory that windows and other programs use to temporarily store files. The programs should delete these files when they are finished using them. This does not always happen. It is good practice to periodically clean this directory out. I believe Win 98 has an option in tools to automatically do this.

Note: There will be some files that can not be deleted from this directory because they are in use. Just skip these files.

As always, take caution on the files that you delete (just a disclaimer) =)

Hope this helps.

- Boots

If you've reformatted and reinstalled Windows and your software, AND you've downloaded and applied all the updates for your software....without any success....

Get a copy of either NT4 or Windows 2000 and your crashing problems will almost certainly disappear. Magic!

Slackmaster 2000

If you can duplicate the error,get the exact error message for me and I'll see what I can find out about it for you.,randy5235

thanks

I'll check things out . I'll see if I can make the error happen again so I can write it down ,Something tells me it won't be too hard to find again.

I'm running win98se too (with n-track) and let me say: I know that blue screen coming with that "clack" from the monitor-resolution-change damn too well...
Now that I hear it could be the memory I some kind of scared, really.

Is your system stable with other applications?

NO any thing else I use ,word etc,Seems fine.
Only recording.Which is all I've got that gives thesystem a work out.

one thing I know for sure is there ara some incredible pc experts out there, but when you go to a shop to buy your new computer they know nothing of DAWs...hmmm very frustrating. Check out my post on INTERESTING LITTLE PROGRAMS.

Peter I don't know if I count as a "PC expert" but here is my two bits...

First pretty much all of the suggestions before are worthwhile. The beloved "Blue Screen of Death" is always memory related, but does not necessarily mean the RAM is bad. It can mean several things:

1) A program or driver did something illegal in memory
2) Two programs or drivers fought for the same space in memory, causing a crash
3) Because of a "memory leak" in some program or process, the system ran out of usable memory and could not continue
4) You do indeed have some bad RAM, and a program hit that bad address space.

If your memory consists of 2 x 64 meg DIMMS, you can try removing one (then swap them) and seeing if the error persists. I think your best bet, however, is to re-install. If you are going to use this PC mostly for recording, a clean re-install (assuming you didn't do one already) is a very good idea. You don't necessarily need to reformat the drive, you might prefer to just errase and recreate the Windows directory.

Some tips about this:

1) BEFORE you erase anything make sure you have all your hardware drivers handy. Go on the web and get the latest versions.

2) If you are going to reformat, obviously back up all your data. You wil probably want to copy the entire Windows\favorites directory (all your web favorites), after you re-install you can just copy them back on into the same directory.

If you have a CD-Burner, copy all your drivers/data/favorites/etc to CD before re-installing.

3) MAKE A BOOTABLE FLOPPY DISK. Include on the DOS files and commands needed to access your CD-ROM. I wont get into the details, they are available elsewhere. You will need the commmands FORMAT, FDISK, and SYS (and will need to know how to use them). You can also just make a "Windows Startup Disk" via Control Panel / Add-Remove Software. Then check your boot floppy and make sure it works.

4) Decide if you want to repartition your drive. Personally I prefer to have two seperate drives, one drive with the OS & programs and a second hard drive just for data recording.

5) Go ahead and boot from your floppy and do your reformating, or if you prefer just errase the c:\windows directory. Assuming you reformat, at this point I copy the entire Win98 directory from the Windows 98 CD to my C:\ drive. Then copy all your hardware drivers into a C:\drivers directory. I then run SETUP from C:\WIN98 rather than from the CD. When the install gets to the point where it asks for your drivers, just point it to your drivers directory.

Once you get all your hardware set up, install only the BARE ASS MINIMUM software that you need to record. Skip plug-ins, games, AOL crap, etc etc. Then try hard to make your system crash. I am willing to bet that it will not. If it does, odds are that two pieces of hardware are conflicting with one another. Take a long look in Control Panel/System/Device manager. Check the resources each device is using and make sure none of them overlap.

It is also worthwhile checking the computers BIOS. Most BIOS can be entered by hitting the DELETE key while booting. Somewhere in the BIOS you will find a setting like "Plug and Play OS Installed? YES/NO". While you are installing Windows 98 you want this ON so the OS can reallocate IRQS and make sure your hardware plays nice with each other. After your system is setup it is proably best to switch it to NO, so the system does not decide to spontaniously reallocate your IRQs (sometimes happens...) If you are using NT just leave it off since NT has no Plug'n'Play.

Hope this helps, let us know what the final results are...

Thanks heaps I found all the bios and all that stuff and it is part of the computer I never even knew it was there.
I've gotta give my pc a good workout again soon and we will see what happens....:)

RANDY 5235

blue screen error :-
Coolpro caused an ivalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bffa388-
registers
EAX=000cleld CS=017f EIP=bff7a388 EFLGS=000 10202
EBX=0002ee20 SS=0187-esp=007-ff6f8 EBP=007af71c
ECA=cd826ac0 DS=0187 FSI=0220e63c FS=10d7
EDX=cd826ac0 ES=0187 EDI=offdlldc GS=1076
BYTES at CS:EIP:
89 41 08 8b 46 08 89
50 04 8d 04 1e 50
stack dump
0ffdlldc 00000000 0058000c 00580000 022e63c
00000040 00000040 0001220e 0000220f 007af744
Well I think that is it.If you know this language you must be an old guy called "Einstein" or maybe "frankenstein"
CHEERS THE BEERS ON ME !!:confused:

Don't worry about that garbage

Man- those blue screen of death notification messages are about as useful as telling the mechanic, "It died 4.3 miles past the nudie bar on route 341."

by the sound of it,it is possible that the kernel32.dll has become corrupted.unfortunately the only way to replace it is to either extract it from the cab file in windows or if its a custom version from cool edit to reinstall cool edit making sure to remove it when asked about it as a shared component. just my 2 cents ,Randy5235

randy

I actally found some unsupported drivers in
direct media.
1-mciqtz.drv
2-quartz.vxd I have removed them but it made no difference .When I rinstalled cool edit it they came back.
They are beta vesions and date back to 1996.
I have installed the latest directx and direct media.I thought they would have over written them. I'll check out the kernell

HEY BOOTS......

Service pack ?? I can't seem to find one for 98se but I did find one for 98. I wonder if it is the same one?:rolleyes:

blue screen frenzy

actually blue screens do not always have to do with ram, they can be caused whenever a program tries to call (use memory space) a memory address that windows doesn't think it should have. this could be the result of old directx drivers, this is the Microsoft suite of audio video and movie codecs, drivers and direct link libraries (dll's) that allows your sound card to do what cool edit tells it to. try to find the latest direct x setup (dx 7.1 or dx7a NOT just dx7) by searching the microsoft page or running windows update from your start menu. i know that windows 98 only installs uh dx 6.1 or older, there are reasons they put out updates to this suite of drivers, including incompatibility with some programs/hardware. this may help your problem, but the ram-changing suggestions are also very good, if your computer was custom built then it is possible that there was a flaw in the hardware setup as well. you can also run the system file checker by typing "sfc" in the "run" option from the start menu. also make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound and video cards, you can do this by going to the manufacturer's page or searching on windrivers.com for your hardware. bios updates are not always a good idea unless you know that the update addresses a problem that could be causing your error.
by the way, I am a certified comp technician, if that means anything. good luck, computers are frustrating, but be patient, there will be a way to make it work. Capt.

Thanks capt.since I've owned this system something has always gone wrong. Usaully errors and freezing.
So fingers crossed and hopefully the pc man will find something.cheers I'm lucky I have 3yrs warranty on it.
I have directX 7.0 with the 7.0a patch is this ok?
I've never seen 7.1.also the latest direct media,6 I think it is..

Direct X 7.0a is the most recent version out there.

The useful part of the Blue screen is that it confirms that Cool Edit (or one of its componants) is indeed involved in the crash - seemed obvious but at least you know for sure.

The easiest way to get Windows 98 updates is via the Windows Update feature. If you have an Internet connection (and since you are on this page it seem likely) use the update feature found at the top of the start menu. Do not be too alarmed that it connects you to the Evil Empire (Microsoft), Bill probably already knows everything about you anyways. Look under Program Updates. If you are running 98 Second Edition you have a lot of updates already. Go through the critical updates first. If your Direct X is not the most recent that will be in the list also.

The only update I would avoid is Critical Update Notification, it is more damn annoying that I can possibly describe.

Next step would be to try swapping RAM

Next step after that would be FORMAT C:, i.e. reinstalling in the manner I previously described.

Back