The Blue Screen Of Death

BrooklynBoy

Hi there,

I hope somebody can help me over here.

Recently I purchased a dedicated Audio PC for music production. It's a very solid and fast PC that contain 32GB of ram, 256GB SSD main hard drive, 2 other hard drives(1tb and 2tb), Intel i7 4790.

I have it only a few days and always when I'm using Cubase 8 pro after a while the computer crashed and I received the blue screen of death error. Now it's especially happen after open the external VST such as K-Station. I ran a virus check nothing is appear as well as disk check(c). I am using Motu lite for all the midi organization.

My Cubase 8 is original and I installed the latest version of Cubase.

Please advise I am hopeless

I will make the assumption you have a bad audio driver. Could be graphics, but if it happens when launching an audio application, chances are it is there. Go to the website of your interface and get the latest driver. Uninstall the one you have and install the one you have downloaded. If that doesn't work, you could have a bad interface. Check to see if this happens when using the direct sound drivers.

Bad ram? I have had it. I don't know how that 32G (!) is arranged but if 4x8 then just run for a time with only 8G. I f you still get a BSOD try the next stick and so on.

I take it you are running an OS version that can cope with 32G? Win 7 Premium can't you see, tho' I have no idea what happens if you try!

Dave.

Is there any info/code on the BSOD that you can research for more details about the cause of the crash?

Usually there is some kind of reference as to why you got the BSOD.

Did you buy a pcm that was designed for audio, or did you buy a pcm that you dedicated to audio?

If the former, call the company and say WTF? If the latter, it's is probably a driver issue. What version of Windows are you using?

Is there any info/code on the BSOD that you can research for more details about the cause of the crash?

Usually there is some kind of reference as to why you got the BSOD.

There should be a error code on the blue screen that you can Google for more information.

From my experiences it has been a hardware failure or driver issue. Once even a faulty brand new out of the box motherboard. It fried two power supplies...

Something as simple as seating of hardware in the slots or improper placement of RAM cards can cause crazy shit too.

Start from square one and find the cause by means of elimination. Sucks, but there is rarely an easy answer. :(

Best to ya!

"Something as simple as seating of hardware in the slots or improper placement of RAM cards can cause crazy shit too." Yup, even check that the earth paths from each MOBO screw are contacting the chassis. I heard of at least one case where this was not so and it caused intermittent glitches.

Dave.

The last time this happened to me was recently on one of my machines, but I know them fairly well...so what I did was re-seat the ram, and also removed my CMOS battery, shorted/reset my BIOS jumper, entered & reset up my BIOS, restart & walla!

One should always check and/or replace their CMOS battery too.

Other times it was re-reating other things, pushing in all my internal cables/power plugs etc, but as I said I've got to know my own machines and have to do the same things.

I was getting intermittent BSOD a while back, ended up being bad memory (even though it passed every diagnostic I threw at it).

Hardware or drivers is pretty vague troubleshooting criteria to start. Since it's happening at a very specific time ("it's especially happen after open the external VST such as K-Station") it's possibly neither - it's a music related application crashing. Make sure you're using the latest software. Close everything else when doing audio work. You can also run a latency checker, if latency is too great or increases suddenly it can cause apps to hang, and sometimes when apps hang they end up just crashing/triggering a BSOD.

Theres a pc we get BSOD on, its the memory stick which is a known issue on this tool/machine.
Im not sure why it goes through memory sticks though?

Had them on home pc's before too, sucks.

Theres a pc we get BSOD on, its the memory stick which is a known issue on this tool/machine.
Im not sure why it goes through memory sticks though?

Had them on home pc's before too, sucks.

Check the supply voltage? I don't know how you would check ram temperature but it might be in a "hot spot"?
If you can, split the load? Instead of say 2 x 4G run 4 x 2G? Tis rare but I have had 3 memory sticks fail in 10 years but not in the same machine.

Then, I had to fit a graph card to my latest Asus home build (don't got one) and it ran hotter than this old tronics geezer liked so I pointed an 80mm Bquiet fan at it. Try it, fans are cheaper than ram!

Dave.

Back