A Big Step For Me.... Is It A Good One

2lim

Okay i have been doing some analog recording for a little while but i decided to sell my analog stuff and go digital(PC recording) cause it is cheaper to expand. I want to know if this setup is okay( i have not bought it all yet)
I will be buying a PIII 700 mhz processor with 128 megs ram and a 20gig maxtor hard drive, with 32 meg video card(part of a package) I already have an SBlive soundcard and an acer 4x4x32 cd-rw drive. Is this computer goign to be worthy of recording about 10-16 tracks(MAYBE 1 effect per track or less)?????

Thanx For The Help

Simon

If you're using the SBLive, I assume, you'll be doing 16 bit, 44.1kHz recording. For that, you should be able to get more than 16 tracks with lots(more than 1 per track) of fx easily. I would guess WAY more tracks.
Be sure the hard drive is 7200 rpm, though. And for best performance, the video card should be AGP, not pci, so that it doesn't steal bus bandwidth away from your other pci stuff.

That's more machine than I've been using. As long as there are no conflicts, you should have a pretty good setup. You'll probably want to upgrade the sound-card eventually, but the SB should do fine for a while.

Well i will NOT be doing midi so i need not worry about that. I am using a tube preamp and recording guitar drums bass and vocals(more than one of each)
Thank you vewry much for the info i apreciate it

p.s. is there a site where i can SEE a number of different competeitve sound cards?

NO SBLIVE VALUE!!!!

http://www.pcrecording.com

This site has a pretty good breakdown page...also c-net has extensive reviews of alot of card in their hardware section.

I am currently uing an SBLive on an older, slower system than the one you are getting, and It is great in comparison to my old card, but after using it for about six months now, I am probably going to be going for something more as soon a I get $700 or $800 saved up.

If you are going with SBLive, make sure it is NOT a SBLive: Value. That card has much less capability than the other LIVE packages. It is really a glorified AWE64 and has 64 voices compared to 1054 on the higher packages. I bought my SBLive(MP3 package) over the internet for about $70. The Value card sell for $40-50 and you definately get what you pay for. As for me, I am having a great time learning how to record, mix, master, etc. on the PC and for the moment the SBLive is performing just fine.

Back