Big Problem with LATENCY and Audio Interface

Nervz

Ok, so I’m looking to buy some midi controller. I’ve got m-audio fast track ultra audio interface and there is my question. Lots of people say to plug your midi keyboard with midi - usb (or if kontroller has it usb type B - usb) I tried that on some midi keyboard but that type of plugs makes for me 12ms latency, and that’s too much for me. I need less than 8 or 7. How do I plug controller to an audio interface to get that 3-4ms latency? Do I need to get Midi - midi cable and plug it into audio interface and then just connect audio interface to computer normally by usb?
Help me, please, I’ve been digging in internet for 4 hours and no results... :(

The Ultra does have MIDI ports so I am not sure why you seem hesitant about getting a controller with a MIDI 'DIN' output port?

That said, if the USB controller is shown in the DAW and everything is setup correctly there should be no problem with latency.

There is a fashion (I call it a PLOT!) to leave off MIDI ports on things that historically always had them. F..! The otherwise pretty dire Sound Blasters could be fitted with DINs! So, just check that the controller you choose has at least a MIDI Out port. Even better to get MIDI In as well ("Thru" would be great but leave us not be silly!)

M-Audio themselves make a "Keystation49" (or some such) which is a clone of my ages old Evolution Ekeys49. Ok kbd but little cop as a "controller", no encoders or sliders.

Dave.

Well, so is 12ms latency “no problems with latency” I see people have 3ms with their controllers. So why the... do I even need an audio interface if I can just take midi-usb cable and plug it straight into computer. I thought that plugging it through din-din to Audio interface will make it a lot less laggy.
P.S. I don’t mind getting any type of controller. I just need low latency.

Well, so is 12ms latency “no problems with latency” I see people have 3ms with their controllers. So why the... do I even need an audio interface if I can just take midi-usb cable and plug it straight into computer. I thought that plugging it through din-din to Audio interface will make it a lot less laggy.
P.S. I don’t mind getting any type of controller. I just need low latency.

I am not really sure what you mean? Whether you use a USB connection to the PC or DINs through the AI the speed of both is SO much faster than MIDI data rate that any latency is 'in the system' and you need to find the reason for that. Can you not reduce the buffer size? If you can and have, does that result in stutters and glitches?

Even if you plug a kbd into a PC via USB you still rely on some form of D to A converter to produce the sound and THAT is where most of the latency arises AFAIK.

Dave.

When I set buffer size in Asio4All for 512 I have 12ms, after changing it to 256 I get glitches but latency is 6ms. Glitches are like pauses every 0.5 second. I thought that having AI will lower the latency than just plugging your kbd with just midi-usb.

Why are you using the antiquated band aid ASIO4ALL when the Ultra should have excellent M-A ASIO drivers? I have had 3 of their 2496 cards and a Fast track pro and all gave low latency.

Dave.

Ok, so lets sum it up. I plug my kbd with Midi-Midi cable to interface and I should be alright with latency? Everybody say that midi controller connected via AI has lower latency it's true isn't it?

"Everybody say that midi controller connected via AI has lower latency it's true isn't it? " How could they tell? EVERY controller has to go through some kind of interface/soundcard to be heard.

If you are "outputting" via Realtek(!) and inputting from USB you can be sure that will be slower than using an RME UFX!

In any SPECIFIC situation, one combination might be lower latency than another but I cannot see how that can be a general rule?

Dave.

Ok so if I will be Outputting via M-A Fast Track Ultra and inputting from USB will it be faster than via (for example) Realtek?
I'm sorry, I feel like I'm annoying, I don't even know english well, and I feel like I'm super beginner, but I'm not. My music isn't that bad.

Last edited:
I don't understand the question....

If you are using a controller (not a keyboard with built in sounds) why would you not just plug it directly into your PC via USB - by a mile the quickest route, you will not have any discernible latency.

Are you just using the interface as an external sound card? ie not recording an audio source?

How are you measuring midi latency?

If I do so (as I mentioned earlier, via USB into PC) I get 12ms in Asio4All with 512 buffersize. I didn't have opportunity yet to use Fast Track Ultra as output (tomrrow I will check it), but the question isn't about it. I just don't know why latency is over 10ms (with my internal soundcard, it's Creative Sound Blaster) and I don't know if this latency will change if I:
1. Plug in kbd via USB to PC
2. Plug in AI to PC
3. Set output as M-Audio Asio

I don't understand the question....

If you are using a controller (not a keyboard with built in sounds) why would you not just plug it directly into your PC via USB - by a mile the quickest route, you will not have any discernible latency.

Are you just using the interface as an external sound card? ie not recording an audio source?

How are you measuring midi latency?

Doesn't matter, USB or DIN, the interface, whatever it is, determines most of the latency.

Dave.

Back