Beware of Guitar Center Bait & Switch Financing

ericpr1

Hi All:

On March 30, I took advantage of GC's 12-month interest free financing offer to purchase recording software with my GC Card. When the order was processed, they gave me six months instead. After multiple calls to GC, I was told:

1) They had no such financing offer in March. After I demanded to speak with someone in authority, they mysteriously found it.

2) GC Customer Services says GC is not responsible for fulfilling their 12-month financing offer. They say this is up to their credit card partner, Chase/HBC. So, they can only request a change. If none is granted, too bad.

3) They will not acknowledge in writing that the March financing offer was in force on March 30 when the order was placed. They also will not verify they made an error in order processing.

This is the second time this has happened with GC. Last time, took 10 calls to GC Customer Service before they faxed a "Credit Plan Correction form” to their counterparts at HSBC. Then, I had to call each side multiple times before the correction was made.

So, BEWARE GC financing. Demand written confirmation of the financing terms before you order.

Not much difference than buying a new car - car dealers never are doing the actual financing themselves. Caveat emptor - 'let the buyer beware' - don't sign anything until you read it!

How much are we talking here? Seems like a awfully small $ amount to get a credit card for. If you can't buy DAW software for cash, then you need to learn how to save your money better... Relying on credit for this kind of purchase is just bad idea....

This exact same thing has happen to me as well ..... the Bastads :cursing:
Running the gambit like you stated between everyone was a horror show!
Don't think they will see much of my business anymore ..... The Bastads :cursing:
This must be GC's new MO.
..... the Bastads :cursing:

Usually any of these 'interest free' deals are based on you paying the minimum due each month on the card, paying off the whole balance at the end of the term, then they refund you (or credit your card) on the interest. If you miss a payment deadline, you get hit with huge interest. Again, caveat emptor.

Back