Best Vurtual Amp Software

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
OK, been on here a few weeks now and been reading around. I am well happy with Reaper and I have no need to improve upon my UX2 which is still fine for an AI.

However, I am still using the Line6 Gearbox software as my amp sim. I was pretty amazed by this when it came out as I have never heard anything like it before. I am starting to find it quite limiting now though and I don't have the space/time/money (and won't for the next 6 months or so - buying a house) to get back into spending money on amps and mics.

What amp sim would you recommend for someone that likes rock music, loves Pearl Jam and the Clash, occasionally goes a bit mellow but can't resist a bit of Metallica now and again? I have read some pretty good reviews of Peavey's Revalver and am a lifelong Peavey fan anyway (I still play my guitar through a bandit and have a Peavey studio bass amp too)

You may not even need an amp sim, since everything that is on a sim you can pretty much do with a plug in, you could possibly just process the signal with EQ, reverb, etc. But, if you are looking for a particular sound, then that is a different story. I like the IKMultimedia amp sims if I can get a bundle deal.

I am no expert and usually either like the sound or not. I never compare and wonder if it sounds like this or that. As stated above, I have started not even using an amp sim, just processing the signals with assorted plug ins and effects.

Well, my computer is on virtually all of the time when I am in the house so I tend to use it as my guitar amp as often as not

I checkout out the reviews of Amplitube on YouTube last night and even the free part looks good. I know I will end up addicted to the Custom Shop though. I will DL Amplitube 3 and see if I can get it working this weekend.

Next query - will Amplitube work OK with the UX2? Or is the UX2 designed sloey to be used with Line6 software?

Except for some pre-built in FX, it looks just like any interface. The VST will actually work through the DAW, post signal in. Like this Guitar->UX2->computer->DAW->Track->Effects->Master in DAW->Output

This assumes real time DAW monitoring. Otherwise, you will only hear what is being played through the POD.

Hope this helps.

Ah, I often don't play through Reaper at all. Just through the amp sim; to just fiddle, get a tone I like and play for a couple of hours with a bottle of wine.

Thing I do like about the amp sims is that they look like amps so it's a familiar interface for knob twidding.

Amplitube is great for that. Can be used as VST or stand alone. Haven't had a chance to play with them yet, but just got the Softube guitar and bass amps...time will tell.

Careful that you don't end up spending more time fiddling with virtual knobs than you do playing! Always a risk!

I just noticed that, like with amplitube 3, you can download the basic version of Revalver 4 for free then purchase all the add ons from there. I will almost certainly be doing that over Christmas too!

Another option is a amp sim pedal. I use an old Digitech RP150. It comes with software so you can edit tones on the computer and the interface is looks like the amps, pedals, etc. For recording, I treat it just like I would a real guitar amp. Get the tones I want and track it.

It doesn't use up cpu resources while mixing but you would have to retrack if you want to change the tone. But you would do that with real amps, too.

Just installed revalver. Can't get my latency below 10 ms without getting silly noises. Any ideas?

Back