Best Guitar VST To Rival POD

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Hi All,

I used to have a POD XT and loved the sounds it created with just the turn of a dial. Many PRESETS which makes my life easy. I purchased a new comp and want to do just about everything I can internally with VSTs. What would you suggest as my best option?

Thanks,

ROK

Definitely check out AmpliTube 3 FREE. It is after all free and if you want more gear models you can add them as you go with our Custom Shop with gear models licensed and approved by Fender, Orange, Ampeg and more!

Thanks IK. Does it have a lot of presets? I know it's lazy but Im getting frustrated with calling up the amp, cab, distortion, eq, all separately.

Yes tons of presets, plus you can also download other user presets in the preset exchange!

MMMMMM!!! spam!!!!

Only line six that Ive used has been pod farm, didn't like it too much. Guitar Rig 4 is top notch IMO, its worth the purchase just for the crazy effects you can make. I have used Waves GTR at university and I think thats quality aswell, it sounds a little. . . less perfect.

No spam. I answered his questions, just trying to help out. Go through my post history it'll back that up. I'm here to contribute.

I personally prefer Guitar Rig 4 for more overdriven tones and for its bass guitar presets.

I like Amplitube for everything else.

No spam. I answered his questions, just trying to help out. Go through my post history it'll back that up. I'm here to contribute.

No worries mate, I meant no offense!

I haven't actually used amplitube. I only really use amp sims for the effects cause my physical effects chain is really useless. I used to swear by them but now I find they sound a little thin in a mix, however my normal port of call is to mic the amp and record that then use the amp sim to polish the track off. Or if im writing for a client, Its great to use sims! if they want a different sound its easy just to change the sound in the box rather than re-recording it. . . and some clients can be picky. What ever the case I always think you get a better sound if you program it yourself rather than use presets. The stock ones just sound too good in most cases if you know what I mean.

I haven't actually used amplitube. I only really use amp sims for the effects cause my physical effects chain is really useless. I used to swear by them but now I find they sound a little thin in a mix, however my normal port of call is to mic the amp and record that then use the amp sim to polish the track off. Or if im writing for a client, Its great to use sims! if they want a different sound its easy just to change the sound in the box rather than re-recording it. . . and some clients can be picky. What ever the case I always think you get a better sound if you program it yourself rather than use presets. The stock ones just sound too good in most cases if you know what I mean.

All good! And presets don't compare to actually dialing in your own tone! :)

Guitar Rig 4 is top notch IMO, its worth the purchase just for the crazy effects you can make.
Yep, what this guy and the other guy said about Guitar Rig 4. Can't go wrong.

Yeah...you TOTALLY aren't here representing a company and are willing to give 100% unbiased advice. Nope, no spam at all.

To the OP. Look into the LePou plugins. Damn fine quality and free.

Definitely check out AmpliTube 3 FREE. It is after all free and if you want more gear models you can add them as you go with our Custom Shop with gear models licensed and approved by Fender, Orange, Ampeg and more!

hey there mister IKMM, i tried out the AT3 demo and abandoned it because any project running multiple instances of AT3 took fooooreverrrrr to boot up.
it was definitely ONLY projects that used the AT3 demo (as VST).
is this normal? i mean i could literally almost walk off and make myself a pot of coffee...

also it's a humongous drain

Last edited:
I personally prefer Guitar Rig 4 for more overdriven tones and for its bass guitar presets.

I like Amplitube for everything else.

Yes, Guitar Rig 4 has some good serious distortion but I'm looking for more of a mild jazz or country distortion. I'll give Amplitude a try. One thing I find very nice about Guitar Rig 4 is the mic/cabinet settings.

You'll love the mic/cab settings in AmpliTube, you can even set up two mics! one for room and one up on the cab and move them both around!

I've used Amplitube, Revalver MKIII, and Guitar Rig 4, but I think my absolute favorite is TH1 Overloud. Its a little pricy but sounds awesome.

Back