best DI box for guitar...

grn

just looking to see what everyone's opinion is on the best DI box for guitar... obviously it's best to mic an amp, but if you really are stuck, what's the best DI box and do any pro's use a DI boxes on records?

Are you looking for the "best" Di, or a good one in a reasonable price range?

Yes some pros do you use DI's on guitars. Would I reccomend it? NO....

Use an amp but if you have real effect processing gear you can get good sounds from a DI

I've used a avalon U5 when ever I have to DI anything. It has some intresting EQ shapes.

Some pros might DI but they would be runing it into some thing like an Eventide dsp7500 ect...

I want to know the best, who cares about the price... what setup do they use (DI only) to get the best recordings

Well if you want the best sound what preamp do you plan on running it into?

A $500 DI into a behringer pre is still going to sound crappy.

I think you need to tell us what you have set up now to get a better idea.

If you have nothing now you will need:

guitar - DI box - preamp - a/d converter - computer

So hi-z output from guitar goes to hi-z in on DI box to a mic out to a mic in on the preamp to a line out to the converter.

Thats kinda confusing the way I wrote it but you should kinda get an idea.

A DI box only tunrs a insturment level signal to a balanced mic level signal.

god dammit, you are making this far too complicated. I just wanted to know the best DI box that was out there... you guys are getting a little too ridiculous now... it's NOT a difficult question.

just tell me the best DI box... don't worry about my guitar, my preamp, my converter, my sound card, or my computer. I just want to know the best DI box available. NOT an amp modeler, the best DI box for plugging in a guitar and hitting record whether it be with distortion or without. please...

grn said:
god dammit, you are making this far too complicated. I just wanted to know the best DI box that was out there... you guys are getting a little too ridiculous now... it's NOT a difficult question.

just tell me the best DI box... don't worry about my guitar, my preamp, my converter, my sound card, or my computer. I just want to know the best DI box available. NOT an amp modeler, the best DI box for plugging in a guitar and hitting record whether it be with distortion or without. please...

Well, a DI box ain't gonna have distortion.

Whirlwind Hotbox
Radial J48
KT DN100
BSS 133

thanks guys =\

I guess I'll check out the Avalon. Now my next question then, is what is the best amp modeler (even if it doesn't model the amp correctly, which one has the best distortion sound that you can work with)...

Best DI line, Neve 1081 or Helios 69. Best amp modeler, who knows, they all have their ups and downs.

On another note, you really need to lighten up. It seemed to me like all the questions were pretty valid.

grn said:

It's not a difficult question, you're right. But it's the wrong question. Are you sure this:
http://www.radialeng.com/di-jdi.htm
is all you need? How are you going to use that to record guitar into your computer???

Maybe you're thinking of this:
http://www.mil-media.com/docs/products/origin.shtml
the Millenia Origin - (arguably) the best preamp/DI? You still need a converter and/or soundcard, you know.

apologies, I thought it was fairly clear what I was asking... just wanted to know simply the best DI box for guitar... that's it. I have the rest of the information I needed. thanks for the help. looks like for right now I'll stick with micing the amp.

Back