Best computer for Doctor Varney

What have I got to lose, except my hair? So I'm going to shave my head, wear a turtle neck sweater and join the ranks of smug, satisfied Mac owners, who love the way their technology all syncs together and just... works.

As much as I'm a fellow Mac hater (I believe Jimmy's on the same page as me), I loved this to death. xD

Thanks. Yes, both my monitors have the HDMI and DVI outputs.

Strange how, in the world of Apple, everything has to have a funky name... "Thunderbolt"? pfft! LOL :)

Give things a snazzy name and you can charge more!

(That said, Thunderbolt is the name for a standard that is/will be used by both Macs and Windows machines.)

Strange how, in the world of Apple, everything has to have a funky name... "Thunderbolt"? pfft! LOL :)

Fun fact, Thunderbolt is actually an Intel product, Apple just kinda adopted it first. They actually tried to copyright/patent it (can't remember which), and then Intel brought up a lawsuit for them. Intel kinda got their copyright back. xD

EDIT:
By adopted, I mean Thunderbolt was on Macs before PCs.

Fun fact, Thunderbolt is actually an Intel product.

That's just unfortunate! lol.

Are you really thinking about a mac, Varney? Watcha looking at?

I just want to state for the record now that Varney's future mac experiences are ineligible for contribution into nay Mac/PC debates, just as his PC experiences are. :p

That's just unfortunate! lol.

Are you really thinking about a mac, Varney? Watcha looking at?

Don't know yet. I was wondering if perhaps you might suggest something worth looking at? On the second hand market, of course.

Steenamaroo said:
I just want to state for the record now that Varney's future mac experiences are ineligible for contribution into nay Mac/PC debates, just as his PC experiences are. :p

Well, then I'll be in a position to enter them... from both ends. ;)

I suppose! But what appeals is that the Mac is professionally built and tested. What I deduce is you end up paying for that.

That's true, but there's no denying we pay for the name too. :p

What do you need? It's pretty simple.

Mac Pro - desktop PC equivalent. Room for PCI-e expansion for HD cards/video cards etc.
Imac - IMO overpriced. You're paying for the shiny apple screen.
Mac Mini - What I generally recommend as a desktop PC
Mac Book Pro - As capable as the mini, but mobile of course.

I don't know your needs but last year's/year before's mac minis are hard to beat. i5 or i7.
I nearly bought an i7 myself recently.

It's not going to compete with a hand picked i7 PC or a mac pro, but it's still VERY capable.

For reference I'm on an i5 MBP from 2011 and it serves perfectly for me.

I'm going to throw about a coverall disclaimer here. Avoid any mac that's core2duo.
It's just simpler that way.

Last edited:
That's a comprehensive run down. Thanks!

Steenamaroo said:
That's true, but there's no denying we pay for the name too.

I think it depends how you look at it. You're also paying for the reputation that goes along with that name. If they've earned it, that is. In my experience of airbrushes and spray guns, for instance, the big names equate directly to better performance than the cheaper brands - and I've put this to the test as I've tried (nearly) them all. It's a bit like saying you're paying for the badge on a Land Rover or a Porsche... but you're not, you're getting a tried and tested machine with a long standing reputation for performance. So yeah - pay more for good names. Why not?

For me, the trick is getting a trustworthy brand at a bargain price. Something that was perhaps built to last, rather than just to fulfill it's function for the lifetime of support for the current operating system. I must say though, the prices I've been seeing on Macs lately are enough to give me a heart attack!

Steenamaroo said:
I'm going to throw about a coverall disclaimer here. Avoid any mac that's core2duo.
It's just simpler that way.

For what reason? I'm curious to know more...

Last edited:
Seriously, your still having computer issues?! Ok, here is my ultimate solution for you:

First off: Get that poltergeist out of your house and get it to stop haunting you and your computers.
Second: Don't be dissuaded because of the phrase "An apple a day keeps the doctor away".
Third: Buy a Mac.
Fourth: Mac people are not snobs! The only people that say that are the PC'ers, cuz they so jealous. :D

And there ya Gogh. Doing the above, you'll probably have less than a handful of computer issues during your lifetime. :)

Thanks for the advice. I never did like using Windows anyway. From 3.1 through to 7, I've tried them all and I've never 'bonded' with Microsoft. Always just put up with it, because it's all I've got. Used a Mac a couple of times and thought: "This is really nice". Tried Ubuntu and it was just... useless. A lot of people since I started saying this have recommended Macs to me elsewhere, too.

If/ when I do get a Mac, I'll still keep the PC, as it will have it's uses for running certain free software I've become attached to. I doubt I'll become a Mac snob because I recognise it's just a personal choice at the end of the day.

Mac does seem to be your best option. Just for your sanity, if anything. I sure hope that the poltergeist that haunts you, does not like apples.

I still think you should just start over with a decent PC, and stop messing with stuff. It is not typical for users to have this many issues. I bet you unintentionally tweaked something, that has screwed up your PC/PC's. Or, you are on Microsoft's 'blacklist' because you did something inappropriate to one of their employees, and you have been sent a 'screw that guy' virus. lol-or for realzies...

I just tested my Toshiba W7 laptop, and it ran 50 audio tracks, a buttload of CPU eating plug-ins, and it performed without a single glitch. I made no performance adjustments whatsoever. Even Aero and real time virus stuff was still running. Just stock out of the factory, and it's i5 processor performed almost near to what my home built i7 gives me in the studio.

Put your money where the problem is. Or get an exorcist.

I appreciate what you're saying there, Jimmy. You can buy/ build a killer PC - but you're still talking in terms of specs, whereas I think it comes down to the platform, which is unpredictable. It stands to reason that it is. Too many variables with a PC's components in terms of quality, compatibility, updates etc. and you can't expect everyone to build the perfect PC. The Mac is a commercial product so it stands to reason, even its shortcomings are going to be well known within the community. Unless you get a bad one - and if you do, Apple will replace it. I'm not talking from experience but, ignoring the hype, this is what I understand so far.

jimmy69 said:
I just tested my Toshiba W7 laptop, and it ran 50 audio tracks, a buttload of CPU eating plug-ins, and it performed without a single glitch. I made no performance adjustments whatsoever. Even Aero and real time virus stuff was still running. Just stock out of the factory, and it's i5 processor performed almost near to what my home built i7 gives me in the studio.

How long have we been recording with PCs? The modern specs strike me as irrelevant, because PC recording stretches right back to single core technology... and professionals were using what was available then to good effect. In theory, I should be able to use anything with enough memory for my simple needs. Except, without the system throwing up stupidly annoying problems - some of which aren't even related to audio! So, reliability and consistency are more important to me than having a PC bursting with superpowers. If the basics are fundamentally flawed, I don't see the point in chasing more power.

I've just finished a show in Birmingham and it so happened I was working with an actor who has written and produced the official Doctor Who radio plays. We, the cast were invited for lunch at 'chez James' before the matinee and on my 'guided tour' managed to get a good look at his home studio. A simple minimal room with an Apple Mac as it's centre piece. No treatment, no frills, just the Mac, pod mic (which records to itself), outboard compressor and I/O box. I have the chance now to get together with this guy and learn more about the craft... I've come away feeling inspired. Though all I can do for now, is patch up the PC and try to keep going.

Last edited:
Back