best cheap usb audio interface?

cpc

my mobile pre of 5 years just broke and i need a new one to replace at my hobby studio for demos. overall the mobilepre got the job done but the preamps were a little fuzzy for my taste at times. what's my best option for around 100 bucks that will hopefully be an improvement to the m-audio mobile pre?

i was looking at these so far

ART ART USBDUALPRE 2CH PREAMP W/USB | Musician's Friend

Alesis iO2 Express Audio Interface | Musician's Friend

TASCAM US-144MKII USB 2.0 4-channel Audio/MIDI Interface | Musician's Friend

M-Audio Fast Track MKII Audio Interface at zZounds

any suggestions?

found a used tascam us-122 on craigslist for 40 bucks. is that a fair price and adequate interface?

nevermind iit appears that model doesn't have windows 7 support/drivers.

i did find a presonus audiobox for 50 though. it's between that and a tascam us100 new.

i primarily record at home with a dynamic microphone (though i do have condensers as well).. the presonus lists only 35 db of gain while the tascam has 60. will the presonus be enough to power my sm 57 ?

Last edited:
I recently picked up this model Presonus: PreSonus AudioBox USB 2X2 USB Recording System | Musician's Friend

I am currently using it with 2 Shure SM-57 mics and it sounds great. Unfortunately I was looking for an interface which would also plug into a mixer, i.e would work at line level, and the Presonus doesn't do that. The sales guy at Guitar Center said it did, it didn't, and they would not take it back. So lesson learned, read the manuals before you buy.

well i went with the used presonus but looks like i was sold a busted unit. excellent. hopefully the guy refunds my money. i saw a fast track pro on sale for 99 $ (or mismarked?) at guitar center so i'll be getting that pending my refund. thanks for the opinions though, that presonus looked good if it woulda worked :(

Don't Get The Fast Track Pro

I'm sure that due to the fact this post is months old, you have already worked out whatever your device is going to be, however, if anyone else stumbles across this, save yourself time, money, and hours of frustration and do not purchase the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. I have owned many M-Audio products and they are all great, accept the Fast Track Pro. It is unreliable and has many various issues, which a little research on m-audio's forums will tell you. I purchased the Alesis iO2 express for $40 less and use it on Win 7 64-bit with ASIO4ALL driver (free download) and haven't had any problems in over a year of use on stage and at home.
Just my two cents.

Funny you say that, I had a Fast Track as well and it was glitchy as hell, random noise spikes says stereo yet only one side goes to record etc etc. I got a Akai EIE Pro no problems, 24bit, clean, 4 in and out and even a USB 2 hub in the back for hard drives etc. most versatile unit I have seen so far and not that expensive.

I actually listed my M-Audio fast track on CL yesterday. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just wanted more inputs, and flexibility now that I'm getting more involved with recording. It isn't a newer "Pro", but the original one. The fast track is a great starter interface, but if you get real into recording you'll want something bigger eventually.

Back