Best Card For Vocals - Newbie

Gauge

I am looking to move from a Boss br-8 to computer recording. I want to get some input on what direction i should head. I primarily make my beats on a keyboard synth and roland groove box, some drum machines etc... I want to be able to move these to the computer on different tracks the record vocals through the computer with the ability to add effects, pitch shift etc. Any tips, recommendations and so forth will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Hey Guage, welcome to the the site.

I don't know that there's a card that's necesarily adept at vocals, so that lets you off one mental hook anyway. The key is to match up the outs you've got on your equipment so you can save them to your computer.
Sounds like most of what you're doing is midi based, so you probably won't need more that 2 inputs for vox.
You might take a peek at the Delta 44 or Echo Mia.
Check 8thstreet.com, musiciansfriend.com, sweetwater.com for reference and pricing.
Use the search function at this site to build some knowledge before buy anything!

Good luck. :cool:

getuhgrip thanks for the input! i guess what i am lookin for iis which card comes with great (and most) vocals effects or is that something i should even be concerned with? i have been reading posts for like 2 DAYS now! SO MUCH 2 LEARN! thanks again

Well, again I'm not sure there's a card that's packaged with vocal effects exclucively. Most come with a tracking software that allows you to record. Some have a limited array of FX that can be used with music or vox.
The soundcard itself is a device to convert your audio signal from analog to digital, or to route your digital or midi signal to the computer. You can think of it as the pipeline into your computer. It doesn't produce any effects in and of itself.
There are software based effects called plugins that can used to add FX to your tracks. Outboard FX units can also be used.
There's many vocal effects units on the market. A new and relatively inexpensive one is from Digitech.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...6110405095/search/g=home/detail/base_id/57334

Check it out.

You're right, there's a hell of a lot to learn. Magazines and catalogs are great resource material. If you do a search of books, you'll find what many of these more experienced folks endorse.
Paul White has published a series of recording technique paperbacks that give a great introduction to digital, mixing, effects and processors, etc.

The best advice I can give from personal experience is to keep your money in your pockets until you know the equipment you want intimately from your research.
My wife dosen't let me sell stuff I don't use....she keeps it in a box and makes me look at it every couple of months. Big box! :D

budget... well i am purchasing a new high end computer... already have a quality mic with buhringer pre amp... really i do not record more than one voice or track at a time.

budget $500-$800 preferably

thanks for the help you guys are offering

ps - and no i do not use midi sequencing or anything like that

Delta Audiophile...$159

if you need balanced inputs
Echo Mia....$199

use the rest of your budget on a real mic pre:rolleyes:

A couple of choices for cards:

M-Audio Omni Studio

Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96

They both have mic preamps. They both come with multitracking software. I've seen the Omni on sale at Guitar Center for $390. It's pretty versatile. The Aark is a little more expensive at around $490.

There's lots of minor differences between the two, but they are both cards that would serve you well. Which is right for you depends a lot on your choice of motherboard and OS. Do you already have your PC?

Queue

Thats 2 great cards, Queue, if he decides to go the preamp also route.....but since its for mainly vocals Id go for a more colorful pre like a Joe Meek with the Audiophile or Mia....

I was kinda working the bundled software angle here...

Does Mia or Audiophile ship with a multitracker?

Hell, if it doesn't go for n-track at fasoft.com (less than $50, with enough features to make your head spin, supports both VST and DirectX plugins <- FX!!!)

Oh yeah, go to Slackmaster's free plugin page here.

Queue

ps Hey slack, if you "deep link" into that freeplug page, you'll notice that it shares titles with your "how to stream MP3's" page. :eek: Cut-n-paste'll bite you in the ass from time to time...

Slack,
While I've got your attention, I think the link to download the suck knob is down!!

Queue

thanks for the input guys i mean it! i already have a pc. it is a:

1.8 P4 with intel mobo
512 rambus pc800
40 gig 7200 drive for audio and one for software
sb live card
19in monitor
geforce 3 ti-200
windows xp
24x plextor cd-r
52 cd
overall a fast and stable system i think...
oh yea a 360w powersupply

Well.... that's certainly adequate!!! :D

XP might cause a few problems for you (for now). Most of the soundcard manufacturers are playing catch-up with Microsoft on WDM drivers. M-Audio is better than Aardvark at updating drivers, but I'd check around on this site to see if anyone else is having problems with that combination. The key elements to functionality are usually compatability between MOBO chipset, Card Drivers, and OS. Not that other things don't factor into the equation, but those are the most important.

Queue

Back