Best budget Sound Card for Windows 7?

Parkesy50

Hi there,

I've had some massive problems sorting out my new PC to record audio on, which people have kindly helped me with on another thread.

I've come to the conclusion that I need a new soundcard, as mine aren't working properly. Can anyone suggest please the best soundcard for recording (audio, and midi) that DEFINITELY works with Windows 7 (searching the internet there seems to be some debate on which do and which don't!)? I'm on a tight budget, so really a maximum of £40-£45. I know I won't get something brilliant for that, but just one that works that has adequate sound will be fine for me. I do intend on getting an audio interface when I have the money, but for the timebeing just a soundcard will have to do unfortunately.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit; I only have PCI slots so PCI-Express is no good; software I'm using is Ableton Live 8 and Cubase SX v1.01 (which I know probably won't work on W7 - just to get Ableton running would be great!). Am planning on recording guitar direct from my guitar fx pedal into the soundcard (which always worked on my old PC), with some mic and midi keyboards as well.

Any suggestions gratefully received - am sick of reading on equipment reviews how soundcards are 'great for gaming', but no mention of recording audio!

Thanks
Parkesy50

I still use a delta 44 on one of my computers, with win 7 and Ableton 8...i have an omni i/o for its front, great little mixer/pre amps...can be picked up for peanuts ;)

First off, an "audio interface" and "sound card" are two names for the same thing. "Audio interface" just includes ones that aren't a single plug in PCI card--but they do the same job.

Now, the bad news. Unless you get lucky on the second hand market, you're not going to get anything worth having for your budget. You'd be better off watching eBay for a bargain--and saving your money while you wait.

kcearl is right about the Delta 44. Solid little unit, definitely useful.
I still have one with the breakout box. Haven't used it since I bought a Delta 1010 for the desktop computer. PM me if you'd be interested.

I second the M-Audio 2496. I have two of them in PCs that I don't use for recording, but where I wanted to be able to play back 2 channel 24 bit audio files cleanly. They are cheap and they sound good.

I am curious though - you must have a very old motherboard, or something proprietary like a Dell if it only has PCI slots. But whatever it is runs Windows 7 /64 OK?

Back