• RME Hammerfall Multiface

Votes: 99 15.3%
  • Motu 2408mk3

Votes: 62 9.6%
  • other... please specify

Votes: 200 31.0%

• Total voters
jake-owa said:
It comes with a bunch of different configurations so the cable will be different for every model. It is a standard 25 pin D-sub connector. The digital connectors are on a 10 pin D-sub.

I've found the lynx two for as low as $899. Or the lynx one for under $600 which has the same type of conversion.

Beats the pants off a digi 001 or Motu where conversion is concerned.
Cool,... I didn't read up too much. I was looking at the cables and it looked like ADAT and XLR's only. It appears to be a great card to own. Didn't check for reviews, but if you get one soon let us know how it performs.

ST-Audio C-port and now recently their M-port.

c-port is 10i/o (8analog, 2digital) with 2 pre's, 2 midi in/out, super low latency, coax/optical/AES/EBU digital in and out, 4 cards per computer at about €450.

M-port is their new system III: same card as the c-port (DSP24) but with 8pre's, balanced i/o, 8 inserts, ADAT i/o.... should be able to find it under 1000$.

Compares well to Q10, but Aardvark's clock is definitely better. I went for the C-port because of XP driver problems with the Q10 a good year ago.

www.staudio.com

Herwig

Tekker said:
btw, what does the "VAT" that's right next to the price mean? :confused:

Yes it's the one discussed.

Ever heard of taxes ?? Add 19% to the price, and that's the price you'll pay for the unit. So in this case 956.76$ (except if you own a business and you have a VAT number...)

Herwig

DeadPoet said:
Ever heard of taxes ?? Add 19% to the price, and that's the price you'll pay for the unit. So in this case 956.76$ (except if you own a business and you have a VAT number...)[/B]
Yeah, I've heard of taxes, just not of VAT... :D

But that's what I was afraid of!! So I guess that's not such a good deal after all! :(

-tkr

exactly... best is what i am after... not what you have. what is the best, (tho it could be what you have :) ).

surprisingly, i heard that the Aardvark unit and the Motu unit were the best. Interms of sound quality and expandability?

The delta is kind of off the cards due to its inability to be expanded so i heard.

Big T... said:
exactly... best is what i am after... not what you have. what is the best, (tho it could be what you have :) ).

surprisingly, i heard that the Aardvark unit and the Motu unit were the best. Interms of sound quality and expandability?

The delta is kind of off the cards due to its inability to be expanded so i heard.
But look whats getting the votes

FrizzleFry said:
Fuck me, buying a soundcard is going to cost 5 times as much as I paid for my computer.
Nothin wrong with audiophile 24/96 for $150
The new USB audiophile is lookin pretty sweet;)

How about Maxi Studio ISIS

Now these cards are CHEAP, if you can find them used. Made by Guillemot, they are 20 bit cards with 44.1/48khz sampling rate that have 8 analog 1/4" inputs, plus SPDIF in and outs, 4 analog 1/4" outputs, plus MIDI in and outs. The only drawback is that they are only supported to Win ME. There will not be supported in Win 2000 or XP. Sometimes you have config problems in the install, but latency is low, and once properly installed, they are stable. It comes with a hardware-integrated version of emagic Logic, specially written for the ISIS by emagic.
I still use this card, but I am also using the MOTU 828, which works fine with Win 98SE, Win ME, Win 2000, and XP. At $1200.00 Canadian, it does what I want to do at 24 bit resolution up to 48khz sampling rate.

Oh, I forgot...

While the ISIS is a pci card with a breakout box with all the inputs and outputs (and an on-board expandable memory hardware synth), the MOTU 828 is an external FIREWIRE interface, so all you need is a firewire card. I chose this because I am thinking of going laptop with firewire down the road...
By the way, I am thinking of selling the ISIS card with the emagic software for under $200.00 Canadian. Anyone interested?

Re: How about Maxi Studio ISIS

studiotech said:
Sometimes you have config problems in the install, but latency is low, and once properly installed, they are stable.

Read as: 9 out of 10 you are definitely going to have problems installing this card, and the latency is frightening high (+50ms), but once properly installed you will continue to have problems with it, but will replace it soon because of the bad audio quality.

It may be a step up from a Soundblaster, but a very small one... 16bit/48k is not of these days anymore. It used to be a great price-challenger at the time it came out (a little under 400€), but there are a LOT of other cards that ae a LOT better.

Good luck trying to sell yours, I failed in selling mine, no one interested...

Herwig

since "best" is really subjective, I've voted for what is definitely the best for my small project studio (no drums), and that is the Event EZBus. There's no question that the flexibility of an audio interface/MIDI control surface/digital mixer, all wrapped up in one, has been perfect for me. And every time I turn around, I figure out something else that I can do with it that I never thought of.

I've spent some time in a studio built around the RME card, and I certainly can't say anything bad about it, either...

-mg

Voted for other, but it should be half for RME :) I still love the RME Hammerfall with the RME ADI-8 AE. Least problematic piece of pc hardware I ever owned. Works just as good under Windoze as under Linux.

Oh, and the worst ever is the Creamware Pulsar.

I have both an RME Hammerfall and a MOTU 2408 mk2. Never had problems with either. Thr RME definately sounds better, and expandibility is a sinch. I had a client who just "HAD" to bring in his Delta 1010 for a project that he was doing. It setup and worked flawlessly, but the sound was nowhere near as nice as the other cards. But then it also costs about half as much.

As far as specs go...... If we just looked at specs to decide what we bought, we would all be mixing in a studio full of Behringer. I only ever look at specs to see what the manufacturer says a product does not do well. Never to see what the manufacturer says it rocks for. I mean look at it this way, have you ever called up JBL and had them recommend an EV speaker to you?

Layla 24..?

I've been looking at 8 ( or more ) analog i/o 24 bit / 96 kHz interfaces for a few months now. First I thought about the ST Audio M-port. I really like the idea of 8 preamps with phantom power and inserts. How ever I don't really trust in the quality of the preamps and converters for that price. I hope to one day record parts of my bands records with my own gear and it should be as close to the quality of a good studio as possible...

The I switched to the Delta 1010. A solid card that has been around for some time now. I have a Audiophile at the moment and it has worked great.

However lately I've begun thinking of the mobility of my "home studio". It would be good to have a interface that would work with both a desktop and a laptop computer. I read about the new ESI Pro FireWire interfaces and thought I had found what I was looking for. But I am a pretty strong believer in "you get what you pay for" and that would mean the sound quallity of the ESI Pro stuff is likely to be a bit lower than the interfaces I had looked into earlier because the ESI Pro stuff was the most affordable.

The latest interface I've looked in to is the Echo Layla 24. You can use it both on a laptop and a desktop computer. It's gotten pretty good reviews. It's a pretty new card so the converters and other electronics should be up to date. Imagine my surprise when I took a look at the poll and saw that the Layla 24 is the only card without votes so far... Does anyone have an explanation for this? What's wrong with it..?

I am pretty much the newbie of all newbies, so I'm gonna have to even ask exactly what these things are. Now, don't worry, I'm not completely stupid I get the general idea but does it basically act as an external sound card, or like a converter/preamp? What difference does say the RME make to recording straight in through the computer into Cakewalk. I've been thinking about getting something like this, but would be good to know what it is first ;)

Back