Best All-in-One (non-computer) Recorders

DenverRob

Greetings,

I have a Yamaha AW16G recorder that is about 10 years old now. I'm looking to upgrade to the latest and greatest. I don't want the expense and long learning curve of computer-based recordings. I basically just do demos at home; when I want to make a real album, I go to a studio. I want to spend most of my time practicing, songwriting and performing.

I'm looking for a) quality preamps; b) ease of use and a well-written manual (I don't want to spend hours just figuring out how to assign reverb to a track during mixing-- the AW16G being a good example of a bad example here); c) good compression, EQ and reverb and ability to assign different settings to each track during the mix; d) 16 tracks; e) at least 5 virtual tracks for each track.

If this topic has already been extensively covered, feel free to slap me and send a link to the thread. I did a search but didn't find anything.

I've used a Tascam recorder in the past. The DP-008. It's what got me started. I had some sort of memory card drive error that is apparently so rare, Tascam never even heard of it. They just offered to sell me a new one at their general repair price ($150. The DP008 was $300 back then...in 2011 lol), if I sent mine back so they could figure it out. (Maybe one day I'll take advantage of that so I can have a little demo station.) I have now moved on to a computer based setup, but when I was ready to upgrade I had two choices. A computer DAW, or the Tascam neo 2488.

It was $700 or $800 when I was looking last year (May 2011).
:eek: I see that it's dropped to $500 now :D
If I could I would get one just for nostalgia :p
But, money doesn't grow on trees right :p?

I'm not saying it's the BEST. BUT. I did think it was the best deal then. 24 tracks, a mastering suite, 8 inputs. Couldn't be beat for $800. And now for $500 it's only $100 or $200 more than the 8 and 16 track recorders close to it.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/2488neo/

Greetings,

I have a Yamaha AW16G recorder that is about 10 years old now. I'm looking to upgrade to the latest and greatest. I don't want the expense and long learning curve of computer-based recordings. I basically just do demos at home; when I want to make a real album, I go to a studio. I want to spend most of my time practicing, songwriting and performing.

I'm looking for a) quality preamps; b) ease of use and a well-written manual (I don't want to spend hours just figuring out how to assign reverb to a track during mixing-- the AW16G being a good example of a bad example here); c) good compression, EQ and reverb and ability to assign different settings to each track during the mix; d) 16 tracks; e) at least 5 virtual tracks for each track.

If this topic has already been extensively covered, feel free to slap me and send a link to the thread. I did a search but didn't find anything.

Good luck - I still use a Yamaha AW4416 and it's still firing away, however I suspect it's on its way out. Increasingly I export things into PC/Reaper to do stuff with and then back out to AW4416. Eventually I will replace it altogether, but not with another standalone.

I've been thinking about this same question as you have - what next - and the only conclusion I've been able to reach is that I have to go PC recording full time some time in the future as they "just don't make 'em like that any more" in terms of standalones, as far as I've been able to see from my research. I was expecting a 24 channel machine with independent 100mm sliders by now but the market has gone in the PC direction, so no joy.... all the available options seem too cheap and too restrictive in basic functionality for me.

I just can't see that any machine that costs less than $1000 is going to be a long term proposition..

The first question is- How many tracks does it need to record *simultaneously*?
Aside from that, the biggest problem I see is that the preamps will be mediocre at best, no matter what SIAB you get. "Quality" preamps? Not so much.-Richie

May I make a short argument for a system that is neither a standalone/1 box, or computer based?

Decades ago, when I bought my first hi-fi, I went with "components." One of the arguments was if one piece needs to be replaced (do to failure,repair needed, upgrade, etc.) it would be less expensive and less traumatic to do so. That approach has served me well- with that in mind, I might suggest...

Alesis HD24- 24 tracks, expandable to something like 128 or more with additional HD24's linked; stable; old tech afa the SATA hard drive, but some smart cookie offers adapters to use newer HD's; plus

Your choice of a 24-channel board, etc.

But, that all said, it may be overkill for your home-sketch-pad needs. I thill think there is live in the Alesis (and others) machines that use DAT or SVHS tape as a recording medium, but record a digital signal to said tape. And, boy, are those things CHEAP these days.

The first question is- How many tracks does it need to record *simultaneously*?
Aside from that, the biggest problem I see is that the preamps will be mediocre at best, no matter what SIAB you get. "Quality" preamps? Not so much.-Richie

In my case, I'm recording myself, not a band. So it's mainly one track at a time. For guitars, two. And of course two stereo tracks for keyboards and drum machines. The most extravagant I might get, is two amps in stereo, so two close mics and one or two room mics. So the very most inputs I would need is 4.

It's the mixing stage where I am looking for good features. I want to be able to apply different types and levels of compression, EQ and reverb to each track. And I want that to be easy and intuitive. I don't want to have to spend hours on an online discussion board figuring out how to do that.

I thought about going the PC route, but 1) I don't want to spend the money on a computer, the A/D converter and preamps, and software. That's all probably at least $3000; and 2) I don't want to spend 200 hours having to learn how to use the software. I want something I can learn in less than 15 hours.

I'll take a look at the Zoom. And I've looked at the Neo, even downloaded the manual, but not sure the mixing has the features I need. The answer might be: just stick with the AW16G. It's user-hostile, non-intuitive, with a terrible manual, but with the help of the online users group I figured it out years ago, so it's the devil-I-know.

Thanks for everybody's suggestions!

Richie makes a good point about the on-board pres in the SIAB world... they're average. I don't use them, having bought a couple of decent standalone analogue pres and sending them in via the inserts. Something to consider if you're upgrading...

I feel ya about the manual! You should read the AW4416 manual... jeepers creepers...

I totally subcribe, to this way of looking at things. And, it has served me well. A point that I use most often, is that I do not like "demo'ing" with my hard drive! I also hate latency, and crossing my fingers when I turn it on (sync) issues due to MOTU 8 pre, and more than anything. Until recently with the whole 4 track apps, when I had a creative idea. It was much faster, to turn on the Tascam 464, then go through what the computer required. It has kept me more musician than engineer. Thanks for the post.
Lee

I totally subcribe, to this way of looking at things. And, it has served me well. A point that I use most often, is that I do not like "demo'ing" with my hard drive! I also hate latency, and crossing my fingers when I turn it on (sync) issues due to MOTU 8 pre, and more than anything. Until recently with the whole 4 track apps, when I had a creative idea. It was much faster, to turn on the Tascam 464, then go through what the computer required. It has kept me more musician than engineer. Thanks for the post.
Lee
I would also like to say that I picked up the 2488 NEO, with the DVD. And this machine, is giving me the best dry tracks! To my ear, it sounds better than the firewire units I had used. I have not mixed, or started anything post- production. But it seems that everything will be great with this machine! I like it anyway. It is 160G instead of 80G, I have no idea why Tascam keeps saying 80G. I'm hoping that because of the internal Tascam CD burner, one less link in the chain, it will be easy. Any input on the 2488 would be warmly- welcomed.

Back