best, affordable 4+ input audio interface

sleejay80

what's the best, affordable 4+ input audio interface?

also, does it matter if it's USB or FireWire?
does a FireWire interface ALWAYS sound better than USB?

what's the best, affordable 4+ input audio interface?

also, does it matter if it's USB or FireWire?
does a FireWire interface ALWAYS sound better than USB?

Ive NEVER noticed the difference in sound actually between the two...

but then again...

Im loosing my vision pretty quickly and been asking alotta "huh" & "whats" lately...:)

Hi there,

USB or FireWire has nothing to do with sound. There may be some issues with stability when you work with many channels simultaneusly on USB. But you have really to have a LOT of channles and some interfaces at the same moments.

In general USB interfaces are less expencieve than FireWire with the same features.

As for the interface advice

Lexicon Omega Studio USB Audio Interface probably best Price/Performance ratio today. Decent preamps, real mixer and good reverb plugin bundled.

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB 2.0 Audio Interface If you need more than two mic preamps, this is a number 1 candidat!

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R USB 2.0 Audio Interface and the same one with 8 inputs.

As for the FireWire ones there are also some models worth looking at.M-Audio ProFire 610 Firewire Audio Interface It has 4 analog inputs in total. 2 nice mic preamps.

PreSonus FireStudio Project FireWire Interface 8 decent mic preamps.

If I had "big" FireWire port on my laptop I would select M-Audio ProFire 610 as I'm the 192 kHz recording enthusiast. But I did not the right port on my laptop so I had to stay with the USB. So I bought EMU 0404 USB for 192 kHz recording, but it only has 2 inputs so I did not include it in the overview.

Cheerz!!!

Sound Quality-wise

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24
or
Echo Audiofire 4
are in a whole different class
to quote another board:

Has anyone heard or had any experience with the Echo Audiofire 4?
How would it compare to the Firebox as far as sound quality and mic pre gain?

rholsapple

vcovco

I have to chuckle as I was interested in both of these units at the price point...

I just recently obtained both of these units--the firebox went straight back. I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that the audiofire 4 CRUSHES and I mean CRUSHES the firebox in terms of signal quality and mic gain.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24
or
Echo Audiofire 4
are in a whole different class
to quote another board:

Has anyone heard or had any experience with the Echo Audiofire 4?
How would it compare to the Firebox as far as sound quality and mic pre gain?

rholsapple

vcovco

I have to chuckle as I was interested in both of these units at the price point...

I just recently obtained both of these units--the firebox went straight back. I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that the audiofire 4 CRUSHES and I mean CRUSHES the firebox in terms of signal quality and mic gain.

How does it compare with the Presonus FireStudio Mobile, which is supposed to be a marked improvement over the FireBox?

Back