Behringer X Air X18 as an interface?

MrHarryReems

Does anyone have any experience with the X Air X18 as an interface?

I recently purchased one to lighten the load out for the band, and thought it might kill two birds as a multi channel interface.

So far, what I'm experiencing is a huge peak at 125hz when using the 1/4" ins that turns every recording to mud. Has anyone else seen this? Not sure if I have a faulty unit or the preamps are awful.

I've heard mostly very positive comments from users - enough that I almost want to get get one.

What kind of 1/4" are you plugging in and where? The Quick-Start guide says only 1 & 2 have high-impedance inputs, so my first thought is maybe a mismatch.

It actually happens across all inputs, but it's worse in the Hi-z inputs (1 & 2). Otherwise it's a pretty great piece of gear. I think it's going to be great live, but I'm very concerned about it as an interface with that spike. It makes me wonder if there are other areas that aren't flat without EQ. I can get around it with the EQ functions on the unit, but I'd prefer to have an unadulterated signal on the way in. I sent a screen cap of the spectrum analyzer with both the X18 and my Focusrite to support, and there is definitely a spike there with the X18. It's not evident when I'm using a mic via XLR.

It actually happens across all inputs, but it's worse in the Hi-z inputs (1 & 2). Otherwise it's a pretty great piece of gear. I think it's going to be great live, but I'm very concerned about it as an interface with that spike. It makes me wonder if there are other areas that aren't flat without EQ. I can get around it with the EQ functions on the unit, but I'd prefer to have an unadulterated signal on the way in. I sent a screen cap of the spectrum analyzer with both the X18 and my Focusrite to support, and there is definitely a spike there with the X18. It's not evident when I'm using a mic via XLR.
I'm curious how you are testing. Is this a line-out signal from something sending pink noise, and then for the XLR input checks sending the same signal through a DI with a PAD (e.g.)?

I am curious to hear what the end result is here also as it is on my radar to use for both live performance and home recording. The reviews on most sites sure have it seeming like it is an incredible value and an awesome advance in mixing routing live.

Go to post 12 and go from there...A shit load of people are getting great results recording with the x32 and the x18 is basically identically less the extra channels . The thread was started asking if the x18 could be used as a recording interface. There were a few unqualified unspecific post saying NO YOU CAN'T ..with no valid reasoning ...several post following that definitely seem like you should be able to get results within the same as if you were to buy one of their Uphoria interfaces which based upon what I have read is more than good enough for the girls I dance with...

I'm thinking you might have something routed wrong or some software setting incorrect...Behringer is not like HOLY SHIT amazing on service but if you send a question via their support system during the work week you usually get a pretty detailed answer within 24 hours and if it gets weird you can usually end up talking directly with the suppot folks...I've been impressed by their help.

Last edited:
I'm curious how you are testing. Is this a line-out signal from something sending pink noise, and then for the XLR input checks sending the same signal through a DI with a PAD (e.g.)?

I've just been plugging a guitar into it and playing a single chord and charting with a spectrum analyzer, and doing the same with it mic'd instead of using the 1/4" input. It came to my attention when I started recording a backing track for a lesson for a student. When I played it back, that frequency came back so loud it almost sounded like feedback. I'm going to try running a pink noise signal through it and watching the spectrum analyzer. I should have thought of that in the first place. Channels 1 & 2 are Hi-Z inputs when you use a 1/4" in. Essentially, the first two inputs are configured with PAD when you plug in a 1/4", and I notice the issue most on these two. If I can get this little eccentricity figured out, there's no reason I can't replace my Focusrite with it. I'm just a little nervous about it being the same quality. It definitely does well in the latency department, and the routing choices are extremely nice.

Back