Behringer USB interface.

songsj

Hi, I am running sony Vegas 7.0 or 8.0 on a gateway Pentium 4 3.0, 1 gig ram. soundblaster sound card. I normally track on a Tascam 2488 and export/import 24 bit .wav files to Sony on my computer for mix down. Have gotten some pretty good results but things have come along way in 10 years so I'm thinking about buying a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD USB interface, Just wondering if it is as easy as plugging it into a USB port and will Vegas recognize it automatically so I can assign and arm the tracks for record and playback. Also would my monitors them get plugged into the Behringer or would they still run off of the computer soundcard. I may upgrade my computer someday but frankly this was a high end P4 at the time and I have mixed up to 48 tracks with tons of pluggins without running out of horsepower. Just wondering if it can handle the interface without latency issues. Could live with 24 bit 44.1K if I need to. Thanks,

A lot will have to do with interface Drivers for your Windows 95 system : ) Usually, your DAW depends on what Windows recognizes as devices - not Vegas. Computer latency is what one can tolerate and you might be spoilt with the Tascam ?

Just make sure the MFG supports your OS. Support for XP is fading fast. I took it upon myself to get a Refurb core 2 quad with Win7 Pro for $150 the december before last - to run one new vst, but everything is still xp over here.

How does you P4 work with video? That's gotta be a big load for it. I had a P4 based computer many years ago and never had a problem recording with 24 tracks or more. Upgraded when I started doing video.

The behringer unit is not exactly plug n play, but close. Be sure to install the ASIO driver.

Yes, you will want to connect your monitors to the interface and not you computer soundcard.

Some DAWs are actually picky with regards to interfaces they will function with (I have personally experienced this with Cakewalk Sonar). Not sure what Vegas's requirements are.

A lot will have to do with interface Drivers for your Windows 95 system : )

lol Well played, well played.

As the Behrs are a new line, I doubt they have any drivers for XP, so will WIn7/8 (probably the oldest they have) work with it? that's the question.

From The Behringer site..

U-Phoria UMC404HD USB interface Streams 4 inputs / 4 outputs plus 1x MIDI I/O with ultra-low latency to your computer, supporting Mac* OS X* and Windows XP* or higher.

Have heard 99.9% good stuff about the u-phoria line of interfaces.....as soon as I get my room cleared out and ready I'm going to buy the UMC 1820 to replace my Line 6 UX8.

At a $100 for the 404 you can pick up a core i5 Laptop with win 10 that will smoke your P4 for Under $250 from Best Buy ( when they are on sale ) and you will be up to date and able to embrace todays technology..If money is tight I get it but about a $400 investment will relieve you of a lot of headaches that come with trying to hang onto a 10 year old system..Glad I bit the bullet and moved to win 10 from Vista a few months ago...

Well, what is the latency ? They've got input monitoring, anyway
As with any interface, results will vary depending on the system and system hardware...they advertise Ultra-low latency which leaves a lot to be determined...

The reviews are very very positive overall on just about any site you can buy these....on KVR where it's just users here's a thread I found that lends to that positive perspective of just how well these VERY inexpensive interfaces perform...

A lot happy customers at sweetwater

Last edited:
.."The input latency was nil. Undetectable. But the round trip (listening to recorded and live sound together) latency was horrible at 44.1 khz"

It's not like I didn't look into it when the line came out. I'm not saying they are bad or anything. I didn't buy anything at the time. Stupid deal showed up with a Tascam with s/pdif one day for $50-60 and I went with that

Sweetwater copy;
Direct monitoring for zero-latency cue mixes

Direct Monitor function provides latency-free input monitoring

The Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD USB 2.0 audio interface mix control gives you zero-latency input monitoring, letting you experience your performance clearly, with no delay or lag in the returning signal. It's a fact - if you can't hear yourself properly, your performance will suffer. Luckily, the U-Phoria UMC404HD is designed to bring out your best!

I am staggered that you are running Vegas Vid with just 1G of ram!

Buy the Behringer and if you have OS related problems upgrade. You really have nowhere else to go...

Dave.

Well, he said he wanted low latency and I just caution its not going to be like the 2488. Besides, everyone knows there is NO latency monitoring source. and this sales mush make it sound like your on easy street.

Still, one gets four MIDAS-like preamps ! Can't beat that with a stick

.."The input latency was nil. Undetectable. But the round trip (listening to recorded and live sound together) latency was horrible at 44.1 khz"

Gotta be comparing apples to apples...windows to windows ...Results will vary dependent upon the knowledge of the user, the system, hardware and drivers and in this case asio vs wdm... As per the video below...at 3 ms round trip the 404 HD definitely qualifies for the Behringer marketing term ULTRA LOW Latency..

Well, you'd have to run it on the posters computer to find out. If he got 3ms, it could be within his tolerance. A lot of people can deal with the 6-8ms, others, not so. I don't know what the posters experience is on no latency recorders, but a lot of people will think of low latency as a blurring. Maybe, only with plucked strings and piano - who knows : )

Sure. That would be sensible. But since latency is primarily an attribute of the interface, the computer ought not to make a difference.

The recorder is the same thing, but the 2488 computer is dedicated, not click sharing windows processes. The circuit sections of the interface are the same as the circuit sections of a recorder. For the most part, it's random disk activity that frags the PC computers disk i/o. Basic effects in the interface grew out of basic effects in the recorder. There's no latency on a tape machine with real-time storage medium when you switch the record heads to repo. Same circuits, but the heads are the converters. The difference is going into the PC Computer and having the CPU, memory, and disk doing their things.

Didn't I read that the interface works under Linux, just the last day or two. He could always record under Linux and open the tracks back in XP - which I certainly do. For the cost of a install CD/DVD

Err? There is massive latency in a tape machine G! Around 60mS for a 1" or so rec/play head spacing. Agreed SELSYNC has no latency but you cannot send a signal to processing and then hear the result in near real time as you can with a fast AI & PC setup.

Then I think it is generally agreed that it is the interface that decides latency and mainly the drivers FOR that interface. Hard drives hardly enter the equation since OS and DAW software runs virtually from ram. The latter is why SSDs do not produce the magic, Speed of Light results sometimes claimed. Boot and "fetch" times are improved yes but since ram does the nano sec' to nano sec' bizz they hardly affect running speed.

Then of course you CAN usually set a V slow machine to a low sample value, you just have to put up with crackles and pops!

Dave.

the machine I replaced in the music room is a p4 3ghz like the posters machine, 'cept it's multi-boot xp, xp media center, and linux. One gig memory isn't much to write home about. I have a separate volume for the x-platform scrub disk. Just something like the Yellow Tools/Magix Independence can be a challenge to play as a first track in a new project. I wouldn't expect the Behringer to be faster than my ECHO 3g cards. The soundcards are hardware - there's no latency in that in/out, it's the computer and the OS. All drivers can do is make that as fast as possible. I've got stand alone ADC and DAC outside the hardware recorders and there is no latency in any of that or rack processing.

I dunno. I've got a TEAC and Tascam with repo heads and a 1960-era Telefunken MONO machine with repo(figure that one out).

"I am staggered that you are running Vegas Vid with just 1G of ram"!

"
I dunno. I've got a TEAC and Tascam with repo heads and a 1960-era Telefunken MONO machine with repo(figure that one out)."
This old Limey often struggles with your phraseology G!

You can listen to what is going INTO a tape head or what is coming OFF the replay head some mSecs later, that's it.

Agreed, good drivers can only make good electronics better but it is surprising how often they get it wrong! PCI, PCI or external, there is always a delay. Fork! Even a power amp has a transit time determined by bandwidth.

Dave.

Back