Behringer USB interface.

No, you switch circuitry at the erase and record heads. The record tracks that are switched to repo play at the head position the new tracks are recorded. New tracks have to be on source. There's no point in using the playback head for anything

No, you switch circuitry at the erase and record heads. The record tracks that are switched to repo play at the head position the new tracks are recorded. New tracks have to be on source. There's no point in using the playback head for anything

Yes, got ya! What you call Repro I call Selsync (got a Teac A3440). There IS a point in using the replay heads BTW, they are optimized for replay! Recording heads are optimized for, err, Recording! They have a worse HF response (or they don't record as well as they should, bigger gap)

Is that the Mully 5-20? The 5-10 would be a bit feeble for a monitor tho'but. A pair of top specc'ed, bridged Quad lls would be more impressive!

Dave.

I think everything like this is based on the 5-10. I'm sure Leo and Jim had copies of those "guides" to the new tubes.

I don't think I've have the pleasure to hear any QUAD amps, but I was reading from the mid-sixties when I got the bug. Not really my budget style hahaha. Higher mid-range sometimes and that can be really, really cheap if no one knows what it is besides a used doorstop. I'm afraid I don't have much from the Islands.. The six-sided Tannoy and I went for the Donovan MONO tape shipped from GB - I had to have it ! Arrived Royal Air Mail. original eBait PIC in the listing

I can use a single 6bq5/el84, though. My bigger boxes are 98db/watt and the level just gets to that fun zone. Sort of Akai's 1970 remake of wharfdale w60/70 type layout, 'cept with alnico drivers. I say wharfdale mostly because of the woofer cone design

Attachments

• Donovan.jpg
    Donovan.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1
I guess I am really concerned about what you guys are calling round trip as I rarely record more that one instrument or vocal at a time. Have to hear what you are playing with or there is not much point. I may upgrade the computer, it is not the computer cost I am concerned about but I have tons of very spendy plugin's that are 32 bit and work quite well. I do not want to spend thousands to upgrade them. And yes I am running Vegas 7.0 or 8.0 with one gig ram but mainly for audio not video. I have mixed and edited 48 tracks at 24 bit 44.1K using tons of plugins with very little problems. Just have to watch reverb usage as adding them independently to each channel can eat up horsepower fast. Have had to create a submix or effects buss for live drums or back up vocals etc to use fewer reverb plugins. It could be that the higher end plugins are more efficient using less processing power. I know all plugins are not equal. I know a P4 3.0 is a dinosaur but guys they cut some pretty good records on equipment inferior to the P4 in it's day and so far it has just been for mixing audio. If my plugins are all backwards compatible I will probably upgrade the computer. It is over 10 years old and will die someday forcing the issue. My main issue again is monitoring and recording with prior recorded tracks. I'm sure I'm missing something here but I need to be sure I can build projects a track at a time monitoring and recording with the USB interface otherwise it is useless to me. tracking on the 2488 is not that bad and gives me a lot of flexibility. I just get impatient with the export/import step. Tascam also should have built a video out to hook up a large monitor if you wanted. That would have been great. And I am also old and have owned the 3340, A3340S, 40-4, 80-8 w/DBX etc.

the machines are outdated, but still very good. I'm sitting between a IBM Z-pro xeon 2.8 and a HP xw6200 dual xeon 3.0.

I'm just concerned you might not get the low latency you expect. The $150 refurb i got off a new egg retailer is way slow compared to new stuff, but way fast compared to my p4- era stuff. Windows 7 pro64 was installed and my new DAWs are 64, I run the older DAWs 32 and the old plugs are fine

Call your salesman and be sure returning it is no hassle. Maybe he has a better idea.

I guess I am really concerned about what you guys are calling round trip as I rarely record more that one instrument or vocal at a time. Have to hear what you are playing with or there is not much point. I may upgrade the computer, it is not the computer cost I am concerned about but I have tons of very spendy plugin's that are 32 bit and work quite well. I do not want to spend thousands to upgrade them. And yes I am running Vegas 7.0 or 8.0 with one gig ram but mainly for audio not video. I have mixed and edited 48 tracks at 24 bit 44.1K using tons of plugins with very little problems. Just have to watch reverb usage as adding them independently to each channel can eat up horsepower fast. Have had to create a submix or effects buss for live drums or back up vocals etc to use fewer reverb plugins. It could be that the higher end plugins are more efficient using less processing power. I know all plugins are not equal. I know a P4 3.0 is a dinosaur but guys they cut some pretty good records on equipment inferior to the P4 in it's day and so far it has just been for mixing audio. If my plugins are all backwards compatible I will probably upgrade the computer. It is over 10 years old and will die someday forcing the issue. My main issue again is monitoring and recording with prior recorded tracks. I'm sure I'm missing something here but I need to be sure I can build projects a track at a time monitoring and recording with the USB interface otherwise it is useless to me. tracking on the 2488 is not that bad and gives me a lot of flexibility. I just get impatient with the export/import step. Tascam also should have built a video out to hook up a large monitor if you wanted. That would have been great. And I am also old and have owned the 3340, A3340S, 40-4, 80-8 w/DBX etc.

First, paragraphs would really help with readability....

I guess I am really concerned about what you guys are calling round trip as I rarely record more that one instrument or vocal at a time. Have to hear what you are playing with or there is not much point.
Direct Monitoring eliminates any problem with latency. If you are monitoring the analog signal directly from the interface, latency can be anything and it doesn't matter. You won't hear the plugs on the track, but you don't necessarily need to. There are a lot of people who say they can't sing unless they have reverb to hear themselves. The fact is they can if they practice a little. Once you're completed recording your tracks, you put whatever plugs the song calls for. You'll hear them during playback.

I may upgrade the computer, it is not the computer cost I am concerned about but I have tons of very spendy plugin's that are 32 bit and work quite well. I do not want to spend thousands to upgrade them. And yes I am running Vegas 7.0 or 8.0 with one gig ram but mainly for audio not video. I have mixed and edited 48 tracks at 24 bit 44.1K using tons of plugins with very little problems.

You can try something like J-Bridge to continue to use 32bit plugs in a 64bit DAW. Not sure why you use Vegas for audio production, but I know of someone else who uses it to.

Just have to watch reverb usage as adding them independently to each channel can eat up horsepower fast. Have had to create a submix or effects buss for live drums or back up vocals etc to use fewer reverb plugins. It could be that the higher end plugins are more efficient using less processing power. I know all plugins are not equal.
Yeah, reverb plugs are resource hogs. Use as very few as you can. I only use one, send everything to it. My songs are pretty simple.

My main issue again is monitoring and recording with prior recorded tracks. I'm sure I'm missing something here but I need to be sure I can build projects a track at a time monitoring and recording with the USB interface otherwise it is useless to me.
Well, that's how 90% or more of us record our songs. One track at a time. The interface and DAW software work together to allow that to happen. Be sure to use the ASIO driver for whatever interface you purchase.

Hope this helps.

I realize things change, but it's possible the interface MFG has recommendations for each different application

Attachments

• audiotype.jpg
    audiotype.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 6
Back