Behringer ub802 or ub1002 for guitar recording?

bball_1523

I am wondering what you guys think about the Behringer ub802 or ub1002 mixer? It is a cheap cost mixer for around $50-60 bucks, and I am tempted to buy it because it has some MIC pre's and 1/4" inputs.

Now before I ever purchase stuff, I like to ask people with experience and I am here asking you guys if you've ever had experience with any of these two mixers by Behringer, SPECIFICALLY for use with mic's and guitars.

I am going to be using my computer for playing and recording guitar and I have pretty much invested in a soundcard (probably m-audio delta 44 or audiophile 192). So now I need a good preamp and am wondering if the behringer mixers will work for that? I just want to plug in my guitar, set the levels, and jam/record with the plugins on the computer.

It really depends on what mics you are using in my opinion. Those pre's sound OK as long as you don't crank the gain very high. If you are using a LDC close enough where you don't need to turn the gain past 12:00 or so, you'll be fine. But if you are using dynamic mics farther than about a foot away, you'll hear the pre-amp.

pdadda said:
It really depends on what mics you are using in my opinion. Those pre's sound OK as long as you don't crank the gain very high. If you are using a LDC close enough where you don't need to turn the gain past 12:00 or so, you'll be fine. But if you are using dynamic mics farther than about a foot away, you'll hear the pre-amp.

what about for guitar recording and playing without latency?

If you plug your guitar straight into either Behringer mixer you will get what's know as 'The Impedence Mismatch Blues'.

Those mixers are fine beginners tools for mics, but for guitars you'll never be satisfied with the results. Some recommendations for guitars include this, this or if you've already got an amp you like this claims it can handle the output of a head up to 3000 watts.

ssscientist said:
If you plug your guitar straight into either Behringer mixer you will get what's know as 'The Impedence Mismatch Blues'.

Those mixers are fine beginners tools for mics, but for guitars you'll never be satisfied with the results. Some recommendations for guitars include this, this or if you've already got an amp you like this claims it can handle the output of a head up to 3000 watts.

what does "impedence mismatch blues" mean? suppose my setup was to directly plug in my guitar into the mixer, and the mixer is plugged into an M-audio soundcard, and the soundcard is plugged into a powerful computer, wouldn't that work out well with a clean dry guitar sound so I can use plugins such as amplitube perfectly? Or is there really a problem?

My budget for soundcard and preamp is around $200, so I was thinking about getting a delta 44 or audiophile 192, then getting the $50 behringer because I want to use at least one mic and one guitar.

pdadda said:
Mic inputs are low impedance. Instrument inputs are high impedance. I know you can buy a converter to plug it in the other way. On a $200 budget, how about the Audiophile 2496, an audio buddy, and a used SM 57?

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--THKMIMAB0
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--MDOAP2496

one question I have with the 2496 is how I'd be able to plug the audiobuddy into the soundcard? I hate those rca inputs, I'd rather have dedicated 1/4" ins/outs.

As for the mic, I probably won't be getting a nice mic soon...maybe in a month or so. I have a cheap one right now that is sufficient for my beginner recording needs, but it's got a 1/4" plug.

You would have to get a 1/4"-->RCA converter to run the Audiobuddy out to the 2496. It looks a little ghetto, but it does the trick.

pdadda said:
You would have to get a 1/4"-->RCA converter to run the Audiobuddy out to the 2496. It looks a little ghetto, but it does the trick.

how about this setup:

Behringer ub1002, behringer DI box, and Delta 44?

I don't know if I am qualified to answer, as the only one of those I have ever tested is the Behringer UB mixer

ocnor said:
That will get you by until you can afford a better mic preamp.

how can I learn more about using guitars, mixers, preamps, soundcards for a beginner setup? I find myself very confused right now.

If I were to get any of these equipments, would I be able to plug in generic microphones and stereo speakers using converters?

Back