BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC404HD with 2015 Macbook Pro

Jesse Meade

I just ordered a BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC404HD which I'm going to use to record three tracks simultaneously on my 2015 Macbook Pro. How do I do this? What software will I need?

I just ordered a BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC404HD which I'm going to use to record three tracks simultaneously on my 2015 Macbook Pro. How do I do this? What software will I need?

I ALWAYS suggest peeps download the user manual before they buy any gear, except there isn't one for the 404! All you seem to get is a Quick Start Guide that tells you little more than what plug goes in what hole. The downloadable DAW software, Traktion was not for me when I tried it and I am not sure it will run on a mac?

What WILL run however is Reaper. You can download this now and start the (unavoidable) learning curve. You will find it all baffling and frustrating I am sure but, put the coffee pot on and dig in. I am not that familiar with Reaper (but have it, paid for) but others here are highly acrobatic with it.

I do not like Behringer's business ethics (well, LACK OF!) but the Uphoria range seem to have attracted nothing but good reports.

..Jusfort. I guess you could use Garage Band but think you would be better to learn a 'proper' DAW.

Dave.

These interfaces are getting easier and easier to use...The U-phoria line is simple stupid easy to use and set up...Ton of videos out there on people using them and some using them with Reaper .......which if you don't have a ton of us here will endorse as the go to DAW software for you...

Whichever DAW you choose, it should just be a matter of putting tracks 1, 2 and 3 in REC mode and then record your material. You will have to choose inputs 3+4 for track 3.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried Reaper but I'll have to find something else to use. I was able to record a track about 30 seconds after opening it, but then I spent an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't hear the playback. Fuck that. I'll use anything else before I even touch that program again.

. Fuck that. I'll use anything else before I even touch that program again.[/QUOTE said:
Then ^ you are doomed to disappointment, failure and ultimate madness. ALL recording software has foibles and highly annoying features that seem designed to cause you frustration and pain. Once you have such problems sorted you will fly though the tasks you need to do like Kal-El. THEN! When you want to do something just slightly different, WHAM! Won't work again. Ultimately you WILL become fluent.

This is The Nature of The Beast, learn it now and give in to the illogic of the programmer. You can't win, just do the *&$ing work!

Dave.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried Reaper but I'll have to find something else to use. I was able to record a track about 30 seconds after opening it, but then I spent an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't hear the playback. Fuck that. I'll use anything else before I even touch that program again.

Did you have your interface selected as the audio output device? Did you have monitors/headphones plugged into the interface? Did you find another DAW that was more intuitive for you?

Did you have your interface selected as the audio output device? Did you have monitors/headphones plugged into the interface? Did you find another DAW that was more intuitive for you?

Quite ^ I bought Cubase Essentials 6 when son was into MIDI. He spent days with it and got very slick at its use. I HAVE tried it but find it so different from the Samplitude (SE8) that I first learned that I have not touched it in this 3 years.
This is no reflection on Cubase, it worked very well for my son. No, it's me being a lazy bastard. Once in a while I need to do something with a PC or a music program and I will buckle down and learn it but age, lack of energy and general decrepidness means I rarely stray out of my comfort zone these days.

Dave.

I tried Reaper but I'll have to find something else to use.

As mentioned all recording software come with challenges to get things going and if you don't use them often ...like a second language...if you don't use it you lose it. It isn't like the old analog days of press record and you're done...at least not if you go the "interface" / DAW route...There are several really decent stand alone recorders Zoom, Tascam and Boss are the leaders in MOR consumer stand alone recorders.....HERE's SOME AT SWEETWATER..

They work but if you can get past the learning curve of one of the DAW software based systems you have much more ability to manipulate and edit your tunes than going the stand alone route....You can bring those tracks into a computer and edit but you're now having to learn the software anyway...so why bother with a stand alone? Of the DAW software available Reaper is definitely NOT any more difficult than any of the major ones, I believe is more powerful and comes with a very large, highly responsive user group community / forum...

Audacity is pretty simple stupid and free.....and gets things done

perhaps other members might chime in on a more simple software to record tracks "in the box" with..... which is what the U-phoria is for....

I just ordered a BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC404HD which I'm going to use to record three tracks simultaneously on my 2015 Macbook Pro.
Audacity is pretty simple stupid and free.....and gets things done
Audacity in Windows can only do 2 tracks at a time. Not sure if a Mac could do three somehow.

Another vote here for a stand alone/Portastudio type recorder if one doesn't want the fun and challenge of DAW software. Tracks can be imported to a computer and tweaked later if so desired :)

Audacity in Windows can only do 2 tracks at a time. Not sure if a Mac could do three somehow.

I think you will find Mark that Audacity can be setup for as many inputs as the interface has? Having shot off my big mouth I shall now go off and plug in my KA6 and check!

Ooops! No you are right Mark. Audacity can record ANY pair of tracks, 1&2, 3&4 or S/PDIF but only as stereo pairs. Must have been thinking of some other software.
Dave.

I think you will find Mark that Audacity can be setup for as many inputs as the interface has? Having shot off my big mouth I shall now go off and plug in my KA6 and check!

Ooops! No you are right Mark. Audacity can record ANY pair of tracks, 1&2, 3&4 or S/PDIF but only as stereo pairs. Must have been thinking of some other software.
Dave.
Yeah, not ASIO friendly, so kind of limited as to what it will do with multiple tracks.

Back