Been away for a year or 2 and need some advice please :)

aidan_m

Budding Rock Star!
Hi All,

I've been away a while but need to dust off my home studio for a new project.. Been tipping away at bits and pieces since I was last around these forums but now have a new project and seems my MAC OSX10.7 is going to force me to make some upgrades...

So my current setup is PT10 with M-Audio FW 1814 and Mac OSX 10.7 (MBP 2.3ghz Core i7)

Need to upgrade my MAC as poxy iphone IOS10 doesn't work with the version of itunes suported :/

So to upgrade my MAC to OSX10.10 - them my M-audio interface won't work (they stopped writing drivers for this after OSX10.7) and PT10 won't work.. argh!!! Seems I need to go to PT12 :'(

So firstly I've been digging through the interwebs trying to find what I need but am sinking fast..
So thought I;d reach out to my long lost buddies in homerecording forum :)

Basically I need something with 8 audio inputs (not necessarily 8 preamps), plus midi input.
FW800/40 or USB interface and that will work with PT12.. Am I right n thinking PT is no longer tied to just Avid and M-Audio? Will never again buy M-Audio after they just ditched all driver updates after 10.7.

Soooooo.. Long winded.. But there you have it.
Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Aidan.

Hey man,
I'm very familiar with the boat your in. PITA, really.

I have a similar setup. PT12, MBP+MacPro.
I've been using a motu 828mk2 for I don't know how long and it works perfectly.
2 preamps on the front that are OK ish, 8 line inputs on the back which I use with standalone preamps, midi in/out/thru (i think?) via the 5pin, firewire800 interface.

It also gives you adat I/O for expansion, and has it's own software mixer for direct monitoring and making up direct mixes, although I don't use it.
Edit: It gives you system volume control via the keyboard vol keys too. Some interfaces don't.

Sounds like exactly what you need, and you'd probably get one used for very little on ebay.
If not, I imagine the mk3 shares the same specs but do check first.

---------- Update ----------

Checked my last post and seems I haven't posted in like 7 years!! :o
Now I feel old :))

Lol. Time flies when you're not recording.
Welcome back, Aidan.

Back