bass guitar recording problem

nerdkidleo

hey guys!

thanks for clicking on this post to help me out!
alright heres my problem..

1. I am trying to record my bass guitar(active pickups)
2. connected to my bass guitar is a mixer.
3. mixer RCA output to mic jack(computer). yes,mic input not rich enough for a usb one :(.
4. using adobe audition
5. click on arm for record
6. click input for monitors
7. cracking sound coming out.
8. plug out mic input to monitor.
9. play it though the amp. no problems.

after this problem i tried testing the different channels on the mixer and tried testing the
same channels with other instruments like my electric guitar(passive pickups) and acoustic(piezo pickups) its working fine. the cracking noise only comes from my bass.

HELP!!

thanks in advance. kind people ;)

Active bass - always a problem!
passive bass is best for recording. You can do the necessary EQing etc that the active give you after recording.
Take out the battery! Probably doesn't work though.
Try a DI!
Use the passive bass.....

Active bass - always a problem!
passive bass is best for recording. You can do the necessary EQing etc that the active give you after recording.
Take out the battery! Probably doesn't work though.
Try a DI!
Use the passive bass.....

THANKS DUDE! i am getting a DI

Try changing the batteries in the pickups before going out to buy a DI box. You're gonna need that DI box, but popping and cracking does happen when the batteries in active pickups start dying.

they are fresh batteries.

Have you changed your I/O buffer settings within Audition? Too low will produce popping. Too high will produce latency. You want it to be as low as possible, but you have to find the right balance.

preferences -> audio hardware -> i/o buffer size. Thats for OSX. I don't have a Windows box for recording, but the setting will be there, maybe under edit -> preferences...

Have you changed your I/O buffer settings within Audition? Too low will produce popping. Too high will produce latency. You want it to be as low as possible, but you have to find the right balance.

preferences -> audio hardware -> i/o buffer size. Thats for OSX. I don't have a Windows box for recording, but the setting will be there, maybe under edit -> preferences...

its at 1000++ and i am still getting the fuzz. when i decrease the buffer, it increases it alittle but not too horrible..

its at 1000++ and i am still getting the fuzz. when i decrease the buffer, it increases it alittle but not too horrible..

That seems too high.

Whats your computer specs? Audition defaults at 512 for mine (haven't started using Audition yet, but got it for free from school). Running through my Presonus Firepod at home (4GB of RAM until my next student loan, then 16GB!, but I only use the system from MIDI, Vocal work, and a couple guitars), I usually get a nice clean sound at 64 samples with no latency. Running straight through the Mac (USB keyboard) at school, I can drop it down to 32 samples (with 8 GB of RAM).

It's probably the active bass. Do a little searching about active bass recording problems.
http://www.soundsrealgood.com/blog/recording-bass-guitar-at-home-tips-tricks-video/
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f43/active-bass-recording-revalation-851747/
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f43/recording-active-bass-garageband-355732/
There's a comment in there about passive DI for active bass & visa versa.
IF you're looking at a bass DI I SERIOUSLY suggest the Behringer BDI21 - cheap, solid & very good. Though you'd have to use it in passive mode for your active bass.

Last edited:
A mixer output is going to overload the mic input on your computer, which can lead to a variety of ills.

See if your sound card has a line input. If it does, plug your mixer into it.

If not, try going from your bass directly into the mic input, bypassing your mixer...

Back