Basic Setup

rockabilly

Hey everyone. I have been reading through tons of threads and I can't find what I am looking for. Everyone seems to be wanting an all out setup. I am not looking to make albums. I just want to be able to record guitar and vocals in my cool edit pro to help in the songwriting process. I have used just a pc mic...with ok "idea" sound quality. But I want to try and get better than the pc mic sound at least - so it will be a little clearer. Here is what I have and want to do. I have an SBLive soundcard.

Basically, ill get a shure sm57 (which ive read is a good mic for vocals and instruments both), i know ill probably need a pre amp. What is the cheapest ok preamp i can get? Will I have to get a jack adaptor?

I also know I shouldnt use the soundcard mic port for this. Which port do I use, one of the line ins??

Anything else I may be overlooking?

you can get the audiobuddy which had two channels (so u can have guitar and mic for vox recording at the same time)
then u will need a 2 mono jack to stereo minijack lead
which u will plug into the line in :)

Get a small cheap mixer (behringer has one for $50), a gls es57 (sm57 clone for about $35 on ebay), and a cheap condensor mic (theres a bunch of em for around $100).

You'll need an adapter with two male RCA plugs on one end and a 1/8" male on the other end. Plug the 1/8" into the LINE IN of your sound card and the RCA's into the mixer outs. You'll also need a pop filter ( a must), and at least one mic stand and cable.

About the firewire solo. Would I just use the 1/4" output and put it to my comp through an adaptor to a 1/8"(which would still end up going through my SB Live)? Wouldnt that sacrifice its sound quality?

or ya could get the tascam us-122 and go thru that...its usb..and there will be no need for your SB live or a firewire card.
the us-122 has 2 xlr ins...2 1/4" in's...midi in and out...2 pre's..and phantom power and 2 inserts for outboard gear if needed and can record up to 2 tracks at once...also comes with cubase LE if ya wanted to give cubase a shot.Costs $200 at local stores...even cheaper online!
I own it and love it for my portable setup.
I intitally bought the m-audio mobile pre and it was noisy as hell for doing direct in with guitars...so i returned that and purchased the tascam us-122..i havent looked back since

rockabilly said:
Everyone seems to be wanting an all out setup. I am not looking to make albums. I just want to be able to record guitar and vocals in my cool edit pro to help in the songwriting process

If there's any chance at all that you might even think your needs will expand in the future, consider it before buying anything.

I told myself the same thing you are saying now, and it sort of snowballed into a personal studio. Don't limit yourself by trying to go cheap, it'll will cost you more in the end.

Back