Basic Questions on the Computer Tip

PannyDeters

Prorec.com has a recipe for a Roll Your Own daw that can handle much more than I will need for a few years. It costs around $1600.

So, am I correct in thinking that I could buy that and a software package like LAYLA, Digi001, SONAR, or something, and from that I would be set up for a long long time as far as recording goes?

I would just need mics, pres, and monitors. Everything else I could buy as software, and if I buy one E.Q. as software, I actually have as many of that E.Q. as I can use instead of just one channel?

This all sounds too good (and cheap) to be true.

Is it true?

DP

Slack is right on.

A little over a year ago, I spent about $5K on a "state-of-the-art" system (computer, mixer, software, sound card, headphones - I already owned mics). Since that time, I have spent:
$99 to upgrade from ProAudio 9 to Sonar (which they are still debugging)
$229 for a C1 condenser mic (my previously owned were all dynamics)
$115 for a second hard drive
$60 for more memory
~$500 for plug-ins and a wave editor (wavelab)
$125 for a headphone amp

So now I'm good to go, right? Yeah, for another month or two. I've already got my eyes on Autotune (another $300).

Think of it like I once heard someone descibe owning a boat - a hole in the water you throw money into.

BUT I"M LOVING IT!!

Thanks for the replies.

Let me narrow down my question a bit.

I realize that I'll always need more hard drives, mics, cables, etc.
I know that better software will come out and I will HAVE TO HAVE IT!

I know that within a year or three, it will be too cheap not to upgrade.

My point is...I could buy an ADAT and a mixer for $1500. Or I could build the DAW for the same price and get a quieter mixer, probably some free effects, the "buy one-get as many as you need" software effects perk, and as many tracks as I could probably ever use.

Is this correct? Track-for-track, effect-for-effect, is computer the way to go? Technically, the sound will be the same as or better than ADATs or DA88s or Rolands VS stuff, right?

I just want to make sure I have all this down before I invest time and money.

DP

there may be ways to cut corners to bring down the price....what will you be recording?...what are your input/output needs?...

I want to be able to record album-quality material.

Mostly punk bands and maybe a ska band here and there. Also maybe hard rock, blues, rockabilly, etc.

I'd like to be able to record at least 8 tracks at once and I'd like the option of taking all 8 of those channels out of the computer and into outboard gear, then back into the computer.

I'm not really trying to cut corners, I just wanted to know if the things I asked were true.

DP

"Album Quality Material" - Ah well that is a sensitive topic with some people here.

My answer would be that your COMPUTER is most likely capable of doing that now, the only limitation being how many 24 bit tracks you will need to be happy.

Additional items that would be needed to make better quality recordings won't involve the computer. I'm thinking great microphones, a good sounding room, a good mixer and/or mic preamps, and experiance & knowlage. You will also need either good effects plug-ins or good outboard gear, and know how to use them. All of those items will cost $$$, except for knowlage which just requires time and dedication.

Back