Basic questions about Audio Interfaces and Pedals

jucapmp

TL;DR in the end of the post.

Hello RECORDING.org member!

So, I recently started playing guitar (about a year ago), and I always played/studied with my Guitar and Amplifier.

In the past month I have moved to an apartment and here lives lot's of old people, so in order to respect them, I decided to sell my Amplifier and get a pair of Headphones and an Audio Interface (I kept only my Guitar). So I'll plug in my guitar directly to the Audio Interface, which goes as USB to my Mac Mini and then in Logic Pro I listen "Live" to what I play on my headphones.

Now, I have some pretty basic questions to ask you guys...

I am thinking about getting either a Line 6 TonePort UX2 or a M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Which is the best to both record and study the guitar (on Logic Pro) not using an Amplifier/Microphones, just directly plugging in the guitar into the Audio Interface and then the USB to the computer so I can record/hear what I play.

I am thinking about getting some pedals (BOSS DS-1; BOSS DD-7; Cry Baby Wah-Wah, Ibanez Tube Screamer; BOSS BD-2). I really don't feel like using VST's such as Guitar Rig 3 or Amplitube. Can I use all of those effects in my Audio Interface ? How do I plug them ? (Do I plug my guitar in 1 pedal, then get those small cables, and in the last pedal the OUT Cable goes to the Guitar Input in the Audio Interface...how do I do this ?)

Thanks a lot!

TL;DR:
I can't play my guitar with amplifiers because I live in an apartment with old people, and so I will buy and Audio Interface, a pair of Headphones and some effects pedals.

Which is the best USB audio interface ($190~) to record an direct input guitar to the computer ? (No amps, no mics, just the guitar cable directly into the Audio Interface) ? (I am thinking about either Line 6 TonePort UX2 or M-Audio Fast Track Pro, which one would be the best?)

Can I use effects pedals such as BOSS's pedals and others (like the BOSS-DS1, or CryBaby Wah-Wah) and plug them directly to my Audio Interface ? (Again, no amps or mics, just a guitar and an USB audio interface). How do I connect them ? (Like where do I plug the effects pedals, how do I plug them, etc...)

Thanks, again.

As you are also buying the pedals, my suggestion is the fast track pro. The ux2 is nice as it has their own effects software but you will not get the same quality as you get from the pedals.

The answer is yes, you plug the guitar to the first and then the interface from the last pedal. Headphones on the interface.

You can, but it would probably be better to get a tubedriven guitar pre-amp with ampsimulation. Unless you're heading for a specific sound, I would not recommend Boss pedals, at least not for DI as they cause lots of noise.

A T-Rex Spindoctor might be a good alternative. Or a Mesa Boogie Twin-V. Depending on the sound you want. The former is better for classic rock and blues while the latter is better for metal.

Hello guys,

Thanks for the replies !

The thing is that I am not allowed to use amplifiers, that's why I have to stick with headphones. I recently moved to an old apartment where old people live, so in order to respect them I decided to study with headphones.

BTW: Is there an input in the M-Audio Fast Track Pro where I can plug in my guitar ? (No microphones, no amplifiers), like a direct input from the guitar cable, to the pedals, to the Audio Interface.

Thanks again !

The thing is that I am not allowed to use amplifiers, that's why I have to stick with headphones. I recently moved to an old apartment where old people live, so in order to respect them I decided to study with headphones.

A preamp is not an amplifier. I am in the same situation as you and my current signal chain is:

Dunlop Crybaby -> T-Rex Spindoctor Preamp -> EH Holy Grail reverb -> EH Memory Man Hazarai -> MXR Tremolo -> Interface -> Headphones

I get a great sound from this. The Spindoctor creates a warm distorted guitar as if from an amp, but is only heard through headphones since I connect it to the interface (through the pedals) with the ampsimulator output.

So with this setup the old people would not hear a note :)

On the Fast Track Pro there are two instrument inputs. It says clearly "mic/inst" below those two combo inputs. That's where you plug the guitar. They might not look like guitar inputs but that is because they are both for microphones OR instruments.

On the Fast Track Pro there are two instrument inputs. It says clearly "mic/inst" below those two combo inputs. That's where you plug the guitar. They might not look like guitar inputs but that is because they are both for microphones OR instruments.

I guess I can see it. I plug the guitar cable right in the middle of that mic input (XLR input I guess), is that it ? (I have a normal guitar cable, the output of it is the same as the input).

Thanks !

Also, I probably won't have the money to get a preamp that early (maybe in about 2 months or so)..
Even tho I won't have that preamp, I will still be able to hear my guitar through the headphones (the Audio Interface working as a preamp, or an amp simulator from logic, maybe..) ?

Thanks!

Just my own though in here. I have the UX2 and it is NOT good for an asio card for midi. It has bad latency and horrible settings to play around with. But for recording audio directly into it, I haven't had a problem (guitars and microphones mostly). Just make sure your equipment going in is good.

I plug the guitar cable right in the middle of that mic input (XLR input I guess), is that it ?

That's it. And yes, you use a normal guitar cable :)

Also, if you're tight on money and want to play through headphones you might want to check out the Line 6 Pocket Pod. In that case you will not need a interface or a preamp. The sound quality might be so-so, but you will be able to study with decent distortion sounds. It is much better than connecting a Boss DS-1 directly to an interface, and much cheaper.

You will not be able to record with this solution, but to me it sounds like you just want a headphoned replacement for your old amp.

Line 6 - Pocket POD - Guitar Amp Modeling Processor

Back