bare minimum processor/RAM

cellardweller

Been using a Fostex MR8 for almost 2 years now, and I think I'm ready to suffer the joys of latency, or at least begin cutting my teeth.
I think I'd like to get a Delta 1010.

I have an Athalon 2.19 ghz, 1024mb of PC2100 RAM, running XP home stripped of unneccessary services, computer is a Dell, system chip set is Intel 845GL.

I am guessing (only guessing) that there comes a point, where if the system doesn't B.S.O.D. on you, that the track(s) you are recording, while monitoring several others, wierds out on you....

If you HAD to approximate a guess (yes, that was redundant) how many tracks would you guesstimate I'd be able to record/monitor, before my processor fries/mobo bursts into flames/RAM card becomes deadly projectile?

Thanks.

*edit* ~ here is a LINK to the specific info on my 'puter

as long as I am recording 44.1...and lock my effects in AA, I have recorded and played back 35 or so tracks with no problems (so far, i havent had a need for more). when i have been recording or playing back at 96khz, i have had some problems but only if i forget to lock the effects, and even then i havent had any problems until my track count hits the 20's.

i have a Dell P4 3.2ghz, 1gig ram, 2-160 gig hd's and running Adobe Audition...sound card is a Terratec EWS88/MT.

I used to record with Cool Edit back in the day on a P2 w. 64 megs of ram and it ran fine as a digital 4-track... just thought i'd add that for some reason.

Back