Band In A Box- good or bad?

BudgetBeast

Hello Everybody,
I'm a songwriter looking to record a demo of my songs and am wondering if Band In A Box is a decent option to handle
the non-live portions of recording the demo. Does anybody have any thoughts on it? Is it any good? Or is it crap?

Please write back when you have a chance.

Thanks!

Regards,
BudgetBeast

There is a difference between composing and arranging -- they are two separate skills. If you write melodies and don't know how to add instrumentation to support the melody, then BIAB is an option. For me, I'd rather write and record my own arrangements -- when I write music, I hear the entire piece in my head: melody and accompaniment. It's really up to you, but a piece of music is much more than just a melody, and having absolute control over instrumentation for counterpoint, bass lines and drums is absolutely necessary.

My brother used to record tutorials for PGMusic and he uses BIAB and likes it. I personally don't like it but honestly, I haven't tried it in 8 or more years. I'm sure it's a much better product now than it was then.

If you can't record all your own parts, then I think something like this is a quick and easy way to get your ideas down on record; so to speak. If you can record all your own parts, then I think that's the better route.

thanks, guys!

yes, i can play acoustic and electric guitars, bass, drums, and handle programming well enough not to need something like the BIAB. but
there's something to be said for paying a little to save time from a production stand point.

that being said, i'm going to pass on it because of what PTravel said. being in total control very much appeals to me.

again, very much appreciate your responses.

cheers,
budgetbeast

Back