Background Noise on Recording

distinct1

I am after some advice if anyone can help me.

I use Adobe Audition/Cool edit Pro to record and i get a log of back ground noise from the sound cards which i am using. I think that it is a mains noise but it means that i spend a lot of extra time editing it out.

I have a dell dimension desktop which i use for the recoding machine and a Creative Audio external sound for the input side. The internal card that came with the machine plays back.

Can anyone let me know if there is a solution to the noise problem or if they are having the same trouble.

Thanks

please post your signal chain from microphone to computer.
which mic preamp are you using ?
if your plugging a mic direct into on board sound card in the dell in mic input, this is why your getting noise.
please give more details of your set up in full....

sound path

The Mic goes through a behringer mixing consol and out through the creative sound card USB into the PC.

Is this enough info?

what brand of microphone ? is it 3 pin xlr ?
are you plugging it into the xlr mic input of the behr ?
if the answer to the above is yes.
where are you feeding the usb input from on the behr ?
also tell me a little about the patch chord used.
it could also be your usb device. also tell me how you have your set up
hooked into the mains outlet at your place.
do you have different devices plugged into different outlets ?
also - do you have any light dimmers or fridges close by ?

The whole system is run off one ring main through 13 amp sockets.

There are no fridges. dimmers nearby.

Its not a noise that fades in or out with source equipment. Even if the desk is down and you look at the VU's there is a low level showing on the pc meter bridge.

The Sound card is few via twin phono's and then through the USB. I play back out of the internal sound card. It records the noise (which i think is a mains interference) onto each track.

Any clearer?

(PS. if the spelling is crap its because i am rushing)

youve lost me i'm afraid. desk down ? i dont understand.
pc meter bridge ? are you talking about the meters on your mixer ?

Sorry, It might be a different terminology here.

The faders on the desk and down so no output is going to the sound card.

In Adobe Audition there and the VU meters on the screen and they show the Noise signal coming into the PC.

I think that it might be the sound card which i am using but i am not sure. I have swapped if for another on of the same unit which i have incase it was faulty and it is doing the same thing. Is there a specific make of external sound card which people are using that might get rid of this? It might be the PC but i have tried it on 3 others and the same keeps happening.

Any help would be appriciated.

ok - i see. the faders are down on the behr feeding the soundcard.
what you are seeing is SOUND CARD NOISE. because its a poor soundcard. also you will see this anomoly more IF your plugged into mic input on the soundcard. check to see that you are plugged from the behr INTO LINE INPUT and not mic in of sound card. in windows volume control.
mute the mic in , and select line input.
peace. get back to me.
also if you want a better sound card , zzounds.com and many other on line retailers have lots of them.

Yep the desk is being sent through the line input on the sound card. I am guessing it is just crap and i should get another one. Any recommendations?

it changes by the week. i would repost a new topic and get everyones opinion. a lot of folks seem happy with the maudio 2496.
tracertek.com have some cheap low noise stereo sound cards as well as zzounds.
btw - whats your pc ? do you have a fast processor and 512 ram ??

Hi Manning

Sorry for the delay. Been out on a show.

I have a Dell Dimension Desktop with over a gig of ram. It was put together with the highest spec that dell could provide me with.

Back