Avid Profire 610

ActionFletch

I have just set up this gadget to help me record multiple high(er) quality audio tracks into my computer.

Fooling around, I tried out two dynamic mics for vocals and an acoustic guitar into to the line input, from it's Fishman saddle pickup. I was shocked to find barely any signal from the guitar, so I had to boost it through a mixer first, and then feed iinto the 610. Everything was then working well, nice signals, little noise - but is this normal? The guitars pickup signal is tiny?

One more Q - the 610 has spdif or FireWire outputs but no USB. Is here ANY way of using those outputs into an iPad?

Guitar pickups output are well below line level and you should not use a line level input to try and go direct in, they are also high impedance and need to go through the correct input.
on the profire the front inputs are combo inputs that will accept mic or instrument inputs. You need to use the front inputs and add gain via the profire's preamps to boost the signal to an appropriate recording level

Thanks Bristol, any ideas on using it as an input for an iPad? Spdif or FireWire?
Both the 610 and an iPad are so portable, it would be very handy for recording live performances.

I don't have an iPad. Does it have S/PDIF or Firewire inputs (I didn't think they had much in the way on connectivity). If so can you force it to use an external sound card. If so I guess it would work in theory, If using S/PDIF, you'd need to set up the routing for standalone mode first on a normal computer to route the analog ins to the S/PDIF outs. If you are able to use firewire and core audio or something on the iPad then it could/should work as normal

I'm not aware of any gadget that the iPad will accommodate FireWire/spdif - very frustrating. If only the 610 also had a USB out I could use the Apple camera adapter. Oh well.

Man that really sucks. Ive had the profire 610 for a couple years. Now I'm doing most of my music creation on the DAW Nano Studio for iPad and I just got a nice pair of studio monitors so I could get my mixes sounding better. I figured I could just hook my iPad into one of the instrument ports on the Profire but no deal. I cannot get a stereo sound, (and yes I'm using stereo cables 1/8" to 1/4") to plug into an inst channel on the profire. Ive tried using all 4 instrument inputs. Ive encountered a couple scenarios using various setups. So far this is what Ive been able to get:

1. Only half of the signal seems to come through (many instruments disapear from the song except for the beats mainly) when my master in the DAW is panned center, as soon as I pan left or right I will get full mirrored sound in both monitors.

2. Another scenario is that I will get sound in the left monitor only. If I pan completely to the right in the master on my DAW then the volume coming through on the left monitor just gets really low and does not fade completely and I still have no signal on the right.

3. Other scenario is that I get a full mirrored signal on both monitors (no stereo) and when I pan in the DAW to the right I get a lower volume on both monitors but the right side becomes severely distorted. If I keep the panning centered I get a clear signal on both monitors but it is not stereo, its as if both monitors are receiving signal from only the left.

I just want stereo sound on my monitors when I play off my iPad. I don't get why I cant get this through the Profire 610. At first I was thinking, maybe the instrument inputs are mono only, but that doesn't make sense so I don't think that's the case. Does anyone have any viable suggestions or feedback? This is driving me crazy! I know theres gotta be some way to make this work!

hey, im defo not an expert - but, the instrument inputs ARE mono !

You could try a 1/8 stereo from the ipad to two (split) 1/4 into two instrument inputs (pan left and right with the software control if its not already setup) - not sure how much you`ll need to pre-amp them, or if the line inputs would work?
But you would defo get stereo out of the ipad, and into the 610 then out again to your monitors.

Thanks for the other info.

wow really? the instrument inputs are mono?? what if you had a guitar hooked into an FX pedal with ping pong delay/reverb then hooked into the profire 610? it would just squash all that to one channel. thats why I was thinking they wouldnt make those inputs mono.

but thanks so much for the feedback and Im gunna try out what you said, thats a great freakin idea I dunno why I didnt think of that. well its off to radio shack again lol.

There are multiple inputs that you can link for stereo. You can even link all the outputs for 7.1 surround sound if you wish. It does just about everything you tell it to. So yeah, mono ins, but you can link them to be stereo.

alright!!! after my last post I followed your advice ActionFletch and went out and bought a splitter and Im happy to say I've got it all working perfectly now!!! Im so I happy I would buy you a drink mate if you werent on the other side of the world!!

So just to recap what my solution was: I am running 1/8" out of my ipad to a splitter which is splitting my stereo signal to left and right signals. I slapped 1/4" converters on these two ends and ran the left into input 1 and the right into input 2. In the software controls I panned input 1 to the left and input 2 to the right and now everything sounds just dandy. When I pan in my DAW on the iPad everything checks out on the monitors!!! Thanks so much for the advice and I hope that this will help anyone else who had the same trouble as me! Keep rockin!

Back