audiophile2496 playback skipping?

no-sleep

When I playback on my computer I hear skipping from time to time...
I have audiophile2496 connected to a mackie1402 mixer via HOSA rca jacks...

What can be causing the skipping?
Does buffer size in audiophile2496 settings matter when playing back songs? Because I have it set to 128...

sounds like a buffer problem. Try increasing it to 256...and try out the other settings to see how they work. Usually there is a happy medium that the PC likes the best.

Oh, I always though the buffer size only applied to recording
Though I've upped it from 128 to 256, still getting skips I will try 512...

Also I've overclocked my CPU(athlonxp2200+) from factory default 1.8Ghz to 1.9Ghz, it is stable though, but you never know... Can it be caused by this? Nothing else seems to be weird.. Everything on my PC runs flawlessly but my sound...

Hmmm...

All of the buffer settings produce skips? I'm not sure about that one, then.

The overclock shouldn't be at fault...I've got a 2100+ TBred that I run OC'ed to 2ghz (stock 1.7) and I don't have any problems.

The higher buffer settings will produce higher latency, but should eliminate the pops...I run my MOTU 2408 at 256 buffer size. What software are you using?

Well I've clocked my athlon back to default 1.8 settings
and i've put the buffer size to 512

It only happened on 128-256 so far

Right now it's looking better, but I have to go meet someone so I don't have enough time to keep testing

software im using right now is winamp3 :P just for testing purposes
but i played a track or two on wmp and it skipped there as well

512 should be sufficient for most of your applications.

What I found with my MOTU...and probably is the same with your card... is that playing stuff through winamp or wmp has slightly lower performance than using your recording app. My MOTU unit has separate wav drivers which I think it uses with winamp...these drivers are not nearly as good as the ASIO ones that cubase utilizes, so usually I have to set my buffer a bit higher outside of cubase whereas in cubase and other programs I can set it to 128 and even sometimes 64 without problems. Play around alot with buffer settings to find out what works!

Back