Audiophile 192

cellardweller

Is it true that the Audiophile 192 has better converters than some of the Deltas?

The following applies to the 192:
Windows XP (SP1) or Windows 2000 (SP4)
Is it not compatible with SP2? Will I have to uninstall SP2, or has this been fixed?
direct hardware input monitoring via separate balanced 1/4” TRS monitor outputs
Can someone explain to me what this means exactly? Could I monitor with headphones via this balanced output?

This seems like a nice little card, but I'm concerned about the monitoring aspect (being able to keep my monitors physically plugged in WHILE still able to use headphones).

Thanks for being patient with me (at least so far you've been :D ), feel free to flame me, but PLEASE answer my question first!

Cellar,

The card will run w/ SP2, that just means that the minimum is SP1. For your other question it would be ideal to plug the 1/4" outs into a mixer (2 seperate channels) then you can plug your monitors and headphones in the mixer at the same time... Do you have a mixer?

No, I don't have a mixer and don't currently have the funds for one. Seems strange that with the few inputs on some of the cards that they are not designed (seemingly) for folks like me who just have a DMP3 or similar preamp.

Well the card has direct monitoring but it also has its regular outs. so you can hook your headphones to the direct monitoring outs, using a Y splitter for your headphones, and then use the regular outs for your monitors then you should not have to plug and unplug things, just use the software mixer.

Yeah that dog will hunt! :D

I'm still reconfiguring to allow my GAS treatment, WHTD (wife has threatened divorce), to stay in line with my 1k budget. I need a new amp, and would like to have a nice cab to compliment it, so I've been looking at THD/Avatar combos. THis will run me about $970. I also need to get a Video Capture device and soundcard...sooooooooooooooooooooo :o

When the original conversation took place, the wife agreed that the 1k was specifically earmarked for my new amp...of course she adamantly denies this now that she has plans for some of the money...

Short answer - Definitely probably :D

*EDIT*- I see that the 24/96 still serves your needs. Do you plan to upgrade your soundcard anytime soon?

Yeah Im trying to get some reviews on the Avalon M5 pre amp but Im going for something in between $1000.00 and 1500.00 and I also have WHTD because I just got that Mackie Control and SL3, But I told her Hey I sold my Digi 002r!....

Well now I know she didnt want me to get the 002r in the first place.....Damn she lied to me and said it was okay!!!! Oh well Ill just have to hear it Ill have some thing new by the 15th of next month.... And yes the 24/96 has done me well, good design and decent converters.... I will up grade that by the end of next month with a RME or a Tampa I want the mic pre first!!!! :D :D :D She almst had a heart attack when I got the waves diamond bundle!!!$3800.00 :eek: ....Glad Im still alive!!! :D

You know, it would be so helpful for us if our wives knew HOW MUCH WORSE it could be. They need to get a support group for women dealing with spouses suffering from GAS. Then my 13k will not seem so bad by comparison...

"You're gonna piss away 1300 dollars?!"

"yes dear..."

I can't get any definitive info on how the AP192 outputs are configured. There are two pairs of TRS output sockets, main and monitor.
However...
There is only one analog output pair provided by the drivers, so the monitor out doesn't have it's own channel from your software. The specs on M-audios site give the impression there is only one D-A converter, therefore I'd assume the Monitor out is just a copy of the Main.
The Sound-on-Sound mag review stated that adjustments made to the cards control panel mixer applied to the main as well as monitor outs - so that pretty much confirms Main and Monitor outs are the same thing.

This pretty much makes the Monitor output function useless in my view. Although it's not a lot of use in the old 2496, at least you could switch it off the analog output in the patchbar/router - on the 192 it looks like it's in circuit all the time. Without a completely seperate output, how can you use it for a headphone mix?

d/l'ed the .pdf manual, here is the explanation it gives
MAIN OUPUTS 1 AND 2- are balanced/unbalanced 1/4 TRS output located at breakout box. Their output signals can be assigned only via your DAW application, h owever their overall level is affected by the WavOut 1/2 level faders in the software mixer panel. Connect these outputs to your headphone amplifier, auxiliary amp, or external recording device.

MONITOR OUTPUTS 1 and 2- These are balanced/unbalanced 1/4 TRS ouput connectors @ breakout box. Output signal are derived from the output of the ap192 internal direct monitoring mixer. Connect these outputs to your amplifier or powered monitors.
There, clear as mud, right?

I guess you HAVE to have a headphone amp to monitor with the cans...

Actually, that excerpt does clear the mud.
The Main out depends on the 1/2 fader in the mixer.
The Monitor out depends on ALL faders in the mixer.
So you can set up a seperate monitor mix.

That's better.

I'm glad it's cleared up for you...
But damnit anyway... I didn't want to have to buy a separate headphone amp! :confused: :D

Does EVERYONE who records to DAW use a mixing board?

cellardweller said:
I'm glad it's cleared up for you...
But damnit anyway... I didn't want to have to buy a separate headphone amp! :confused: :D

Does EVERYONE who records to DAW use a mixing board?

Not me dude. I have such cheap shit, you guys look bigtime to me. I do all my mixing on pc. Listen on headphones in the recording room, and decent speakers upstairs. I'd like a mixing board, but don't know why, other than the pretty binkies. My breakout box supplies stereo for playback, but mono, left channel when I record. Makes it tough sometimes to listen properly.

Sorry, just me bitchin, and listening in. Good luck on the wife thing, hope you get some toys.
Ed :cool:

NeoMagick said:
sharpies do wonders for the 'quality' of gear...
Doesn't your gear say "PRO" on it? :D
I'd sell it if it didn't... :rolleyes:
Personally, I prefer the broad strokes of a fat tip marker...but that's just my "PRO" opinion :rolleyes: :D

Sorry guys, I'm still amused by the latest Behringer thread in the cave...
AP192 manual said:
MAIN OUPUTS 1 AND 2- are balanced/unbalanced 1/4 TRS output located at breakout box. Their output signals can be assigned only via your DAW application, h owever their overall level is affected by the WavOut 1/2 level faders in the software mixer panel. Connect these outputs to your headphone amplifier, auxiliary amp, or external recording device.
Hmmm... I could possibly plug these into my Fostex MR8, and use that for a "headphone amp"...
this would work, wouldn't it? :confused:

*EDIT* And yes, the "AP Manual" did in fact post that, and does post here on a regular basis. It must say "PRO" somewhere in that manual... :D

cellardweller said:
I could possibly plug these into my Fostex MR8, and use that for a "headphone amp"...
this would work, wouldn't it? :confused:
It should work. It's a powered amp, so.....

Back