Audio-Technica ATH-M50 with Xonar STX or external audio interface

TEFL

I'm producing electronic music with a DAW, and I'm upgrading my setup as producing music has grown to be one of my biggest passions.

My question is wheter I should buy ASUS Xonar Essence STX or an external audio interface like the Apogee one. An external audio interface with a good integrated mic is a big plus, as I might start recording some simple vocals in the future.
But I've looked around the internet and it seems like Xonar STX is the best soundcard in it's priceclass with good review by Stereophile and a lot of others. Also, I have heard that Apogee only works with MAC. I'm using Windows 7, and my main DAW at the moment is FL Studio 10.

So I'm really stuck at the moment. PLEASE HELP ME ! :)

Um, well as a playback device, the Xonar STX (or ST, which I use) is excellent.

It is not designed for pro-audio capture, however. So you might experience higher latency (haven't tried, so don't know for certain). And the mic input is not balanced (as far as I know), and won't provide +48V phantom, which rules out condenser mics. So you would need an external microphone preamp.

If you think there is some likelihood of you wanting to record with a "serious" microphone, then I would nudge you toward an external audio interface.

Paul

Yes, I would like to record with a serious mic in the future, and want to buy a good audio interface right now, so I don't have to upgrade within a year.. Don't have enough money to upgrade all the time.
What would you recommend? max $400

I like my Echo Audiofire 8, but it is firewire, 8 channels and maybe priced higher than you want to pay.

The M-audio Fast Track Pro seems to get good reviews, and should come in well under budget.

The ATH-M50 is a good headphone, by the way. Quite clean and un-coloured.

Have fun! Paul

How is Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP compared to Motu Microbook ? Think I'm buying one of these.
Nevermind, I'm getting the Saffire because of a good deal. It is much better.

Last edited:
Back