Audio Sync Fluctuations In Recording

Rothenium

Hello, Everybody! I'm having an issue with sound recording and was hoping someone could give me some insight. I have a YouTube Gaming channel and my audio recordings are having problems.
My computer is an ASUS VX 15 with the following specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz; Quad-core

Chipset Intel® HM175

Memory DDR4 16 GB (standard)

Storage 256 GB SSD and internal 2700rpm 1tb WD Blue HDD

Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GDDR5 Dedicated graphics memory

I'm recording with adobe audition with a BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio Interface.

I run audition, the video capture software for the videogame and a videogame from this computer simultaneously and think this could be the problem.

I record video from my dslr to a video card on another computer, but I run encoding off the processor. This video records in sync with the cameras audio but when I try to sync with the sound recorded from my main computer, the sound has some crazy fluctuations in sync and a constant drift out. I'm assuming that the sound recording is at fault because the video is in sync with the audio from the camera but can't sync to my audio recording. They're both 48kHz and video is recorded at a constant 30fps.

Is there any way to optimize this or a fix? I'm willing to get another computer just for the sound recording if it's necessary but I wouldn't want to over-spend on it and get only what's necessary. Another option would be to dedicate my second computer to audio recording only and get an independent video recorder for it. Just a couple of ideas.

For some reason I can't attach the original file. It takes about 20 minutes to upload and then disappears.

What do you guys think? Is this sync problem a common issue? I appreciate any insight you can give. Thank you in advance!

Not really sure why you're having a sync problem, because it's not obvious what you're doing. Why not just copy the video from the camera to a computer and sync that audio track, i.e., from the actual camera recording to what you have on the computer, instead of audio that's been processed on another computer? (If I'm reading you right.)

Or, more simply, why not record all the audio you need on one computer, and sync it to the video, throwing the audio from the camera away?

Not really sure why you're having a sync problem, because it's not obvious what you're doing. Why not just copy the video from the camera to a computer and sync that audio track, i.e., from the actual camera recording to what you have on the computer, instead of audio that's been processed on another computer? (If I'm reading you right.)

Or, more simply, why not record all the audio you need on one computer, and sync it to the video, throwing the audio from the camera away?

Oh, sorry. I think I was't very clear. I record the audio separately to have a high quality recording and then use the audio from the camera as a reference for syncing. I do throw away the audio from the camera. The reason I use a second computer for video recording is because my main computer can't handle 2 simultaneous video encodings.

How long are these videos? I've done some pretty long ones and don't see enough drift to be visible when comparing the audio from the video file captured in the camera vs. that captured in a separate digital recorder. If you're running video from the camera to a computer and processing it there, that's where I'd be suspicious something is happening. (I'm assuming you're talking about using some kind of capture "card" in the computer, and not just doing a file transfer. Again, unclear.)

How long are these videos? I've done some pretty long ones and don't see enough drift to be visible when comparing the audio from the video file captured in the camera vs. that captured in a separate digital recorder. If you're running video from the camera to a computer and processing it there, that's where I'd be suspicious something is happening. (I'm assuming you're talking about using some kind of capture "card" in the computer, and not just doing a file transfer. Again, unclear.)

Yeah, I'm running my dlsr through an ElGato Capture card and recording in the computer using software. I normally get some drift but it's adjustable by changing the speed a bit but this time there are some random time fluctuations that made some parts, specially in the middle, unsyncable. Could it be the video recording even though the audio in that is in sync with the video? EDIT: THIS VIDEO WAS ABOUT 1 HOUR LONG.

Last edited:
Back