For Audio Production: stay with Cubase (Nuendo) or go w/ Reaper? Or another?

airchecklover

Greetings to all. I'm looking for feedback from ppl who have used Nuendo or Cubase or Wavealb or ProTools for "audio production" - ie, for voice recording & editing, library & sfx editing and then mixing for radio, TV & podcast and who now use Reaper instead. Or who have used Reaper and now use Nuendo, Cubase, Wavelab or PT instead.

Why I ask?

It's time to upgrade my 2006 Nuendo/Wavelab/RME/UAD on XP setup. It's a happy & powerful system. I love it but someday it will die & I need to be ready. I figured I'd upgrade to 64bit Nuendo & Wavelab, but probably move to Cubase b/c not I'm doing 5.1. However, Reaper keeps coming up in my searches. Then I learn "Mr. Winamp" is behind Reaper.

Hmmmm. That seems cool.

Also - and here's the other half of the question - I'm setting up a team of reporters/editors - mostly newbies - and will be teaching them basic recording and editing and maybe even full audio production skills for podcasting. Over time I expect to purchase several copies of the software so I want to be on a platform that is easy-enuff for a beginner, cheap enuff in the stripped-down version to not break the bank with multiple copies, and beefy-enuff that someone with some real chops won't get bored! And it has to be written for Win & Mac and be 10inch tablet friendly.

At first blush the Cubase "basic" pkg at $100 or so and Reaper at $60 or so looks promising.
Are there any others I am overlooking?
Thoughts? And especially if you've used the SW I know - Cubase/Nuendo/PT/Wavelab.

??

-Mark

I haven't used the DAWs you've used, but I do use Reaper now and I've used Studio One in the past. Studio One has an Artist version that you can use for $99, but you can't use plug-ins unless you buy an add-on pack. Studio One is really nice and I really liked it, but it's $199 for me to upgrade (and even more if you're coming from the Artist version) and I didn't want to spend the money.

Reaper is easy to use, works really well and is inexpensive. I think it's the best option for what you're looking to do, but again don't have experience with the others. I used Cubase 5 for about 10 minutes (it came with my audion interface) but didn't think it was as easy as Studio One or Reaper so I never tried it again.

Cubase (as you know) has a unique way of setting up input bus's that seems to throw new users off. Reaper seems to be one of the easiest to get working with.

If your 'students' are going to need an interface, one of the units that includes Cubase AI would be one free way to get the software-as long as the limitations of AI or LE are not an issue. I am not aware of an accurate comparison chart of what is missing in the LE or AI versions of Cubase related to the full version. I do believe there is a discount for upgrade if you do purchase an interface with Cubase included. It has been a while...

With Reaper, it is basically free to try and use initially. Then if you are satisfied with the DAW then you do the right thing and pay for it. It is the full version of the software even before paid.

There are a few versions of Cubase, each with different limitations from the full version. HERE.

I personally would suggest you go with what you are most comfortable with if you are planning to teach others. But I completely understand the money thing.

Best to ya!

I used Cubase for a few years, it was fine. But once I tried Reaper, I never looked back. It's a personal choice, everybody finds different things easy. I'd say try as many demo versions as you can and go with whatever makes the most intuitive sense to you.

I'd only suggest ProTools if you're going to be sharing/interfacing with pro studios. I can't think of any other reason that a hobbyist would want to get involved with the expense of PT when there are so many other, more affordable options available.

I'd only suggest ProTools if you're going to be sharing/interfacing with pro studios. I can't think of any other reason that a hobbyist would want to get involved with the expense of PT when there are so many other, more affordable options available.

^^Agreed^^

Every version of Cubase from old 3 on a B&W Atari, so there's no chance me swapping to something else because like photoshop, I can do things quickly and speedily and have never been stuck. It does everything I've ever needed, and changing to something else would be pointless. I have no idea if it's the best, but its the best for me!

Checking in on a Friday night. Thanks for comments. I esp. like the sentiments "never looked back" and "never needed to change". Satisfied customers! So hey, it's Friday night and I'm going on a date w/ YouTube and Reaper demos. I won't be out too late....

Well, it is Sunday night and I'm done checking out DAW SW. Thanks for comments. It is always an adventure when stepping outside a comfort zone. I like the story behind Reaper - you know - "the Winamp guy does it again". And he does. Reaper seems amazingly capable, and fast when you learn it. And what a steal for the entry price. But I've been on and off Steinberg - OMG when I think about it - since late 1988 doing MIDI on Atari ST. Even though Reaper is cool, when I watched the "this is Cubase LE" video, I felt immediately at home. Like I said, comfort zone is important. And here's the funny part ... Cubase LE is $100 and "crippled" compared to the full Cubase. So for $100 you "only get" 32 tks audio + 48 tks MIDI + 16 tks Virtual Instruments. In 1988 that Atari, with the help of lots of MIDI breakout boxes, triggered up to 16 rack-mounted polyphonic MIDI modules (think hardware virtual instruments). The system generated SMPTE so a 16 tk tape deck could sync with the sequencer. That was many thousands of dollars, mega watts of electricity, hundreds of late-night cpu crashes, and an angry spouse ago. I was able to produce some amazing sounds for the times but I'll take the $100 "crippled software" version of that rig any day!

Last edited:
I'd look at DSP Quattro (As an alternative to Wavelab).

In another life I used CD Architect for a LONG time.... I love the workflow of it, and it was GREAT for what I needed it for (Mastering, and Layout/Authoring)

When I had gone completely Mac, I chose Peak as it's alternative (And it still kills me that Sony didn't rewrite it for Mac when they did SoundForge.... what the crap)

Obviously Peak went under, and I had crashes with Peak Pro 7, so I had to move on.

I personally can't stand Wavelab.... so in searching around, I came across DSP Quattro..... $99 standard pricing, with crossgrade discounts.

It's everything I need, and then some... with loads of similarities to Peak and CD Architect.

Just thought I'd throw it out there. Very affordable, and GREAT software.

@Shorty - There are certainly more alternatives out there than there used to be. Ha, I've been happy with Nuendo & Wavelab and had not looked around for a while. DSP Quattro looks great. I'm staying w/ Windows so Wavelab seems best choice for 2-tk stuff. However ~ANYONE~ >>> Samplitude??? <<< ~ANYONE~ ?????

A respected engineer-friend kept saying it sounded better. He used and liked Nuendo too so I was going to do a shootout w/ him. Sadly, he's no longer w/ us & the shootout never happened. There are YouTube videos w/ a couple engineers getting kinda punchy saying "at least try it and listen" and "the interface is great" and "it does CD mastering in same pkg" (what I call 2tk stuff).

@Xcaliber - Tnx for suggestion. I've got the week off next week. I'm going to take a step back and look at 'everyone', incl. Studio One.

This is becoming a bigger 'fork in the road' decision than imagined. In process, I want to kick the UAD addiction. I love the sound and it's easy on the eyes, but I hate being tethered to hardware. Samplitude 'claims' their included compressors and eq's are so good one does not need UAD. Hmmmm. We shall see - or hopefully hear the truth over next week or two of listening and playing. I will keep this thread open and am hoping SAMPLITUDE fans to weigh in.

Back