Audio occasionally goes mute while playing guitar and monitoring

I've noticed that when I'm playing and/or recording while monitoring in real time with a low latency setting, occasionally the audio in my DAW goes suddenly silent. No glitches or drop-outs, it just goes mute.
To fix it it's enough to go to Reaper's audio options and re-select ASIO as the preferred drivers, then go back to the session and everything is normal again.

When playing and recording with low latency I switch to the High Performance power scheme and turn off all usual troublemakers (AV, firewall, network adapter, apps in the background etc.), but I do leave power saving options in the BIOS active for when I'm not recording.
Plus, when the PC is all set up as I've described, LatencyMon doesn't show any problems.
However, the performance meter in Reaper does show some CPU spikes every now and then, but aside from the mentioned problem I never get drop outs or glitches.
The audio interface is an ESI UGM96.

Does anybody know what could cause that and how to fix it?
Thanks!

You're sure it's not just automuting? You'd probably have caught it, but sometimes we miss the too-obvious things.

You're sure it's not just automuting? You'd probably have caught it, but sometimes we miss the too-obvious things.

Hi ashcat, The metronome also goes mute and in Reaper tracks that get automuted are marked as such and it's enough to lower the volume and unmute them, so I don't think that's it.
By the way, it happens with both ampsims and virtual instruments.

Back